Author Topic: FOWLIE family  (Read 8568 times)

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
FOWLIE family
« on: Tuesday 24 April 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
This is a general shout out to anyone researching the Fowlie Family. Generally originating in North East Scotland, but now spread around the globe. I have a very large database of Fowlie Cousins that is expanding almost daily.
The database has grown from the work of several family members over the past 20 or so years. Unfortunately, those who did the earlier work are no longer with us, but others of us are continuing the work they started.
If you are a Fowlie or close Cousin, I would be happy to share individual connections, but please don't ask for the complete database. It is a work in progress and I am still trying to get control of it Some of the information from recent times is private that is being kept confidential. I am always looking to check details and find new leads. Hopefully you may be able to share what is not yet recorded in the database.
I reside in Aotearoa New Zealand and can be contacted at: (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FOWLIE FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
Agnes FOWLIE (d/o William FOWLIE & Frances GARDEN) marr William GRANT (illeg s/o James GRANT & Janet CRUICKSHANK) 20 Dec 1862 Protsonhill, Gamrie. I have the usual from the censuses following. I'm interested if this family group is known and what if anything the family knows about William GRANT's origins.

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
Good morning: Agnes Kinloch Fowlie chr. 18 Aug 1839, was the daughter of William Fowlie b. 28 Aug 1808 and Frances Forbes Garden chr. 1812. She married William Grant 1862, Gamrie, Scotland. They seems to have centred their lives around Gamrie. She is a 5th cousin to me twice removed. Only just got working on this line of the family last month. Still lots of gaps in my tree and I suspect it is going to take a few more years to get most of what is left into the system. Hope this helps.

Thank you for adding the names of his parents. When a non-Fowlie marries into the family, I add the names of his parents, but don't follow the family further. Basically I'm doing one name; Fowlie name, research. Happy to send a report with all the general and research notes if you are interested, once I have finished Agnes' record.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
I worked with a Fowlie on part of my tree some years ago. His father had married a distant cousin of mine. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a chart of the ones I know about.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hullo Warren,

If William Grant's mother is who I think she is (my gtgtgdmother), then William Grant is my gtgduncle and thus this family group is related to me (the children of William Grant & Agnes Fowlie being my first-cousins twice-removed).

I noted your email address before the Moderator removed it, so I'll send you my notes of this family group. Note the abnormally long gap between the first and second children. It would be great if you could expand upon (or correct) what I've already got.

Although it's outside your remit of Fowlie research, I'm particularly interested in proving the identity of William Grant's mother. If you're in contact with Grant/Fowlie family members (and I can see that there are several [private] Ancestry trees for this family group), there might be a way of achieving this.

I'll expand a little in my email, which I hope you'll find useful.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
I have a Jane/Jean Fowlie, b.~1822 in New Deer or thereabouts, illegitimate daughter of a Thomas Fowlie, crofter, and a Christian? Grieg. I have been unable to find much information on this connection. I know its a long shot, but figured I'd ask. Jane is my 4th Grandmother on my mums side. She was a sick-nurse and died of Scarlet Fever in 1873. Thanks!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FOWLIE FAMILY (Jean/Jane Fowlie, b.~1922)
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Good morning, I'll work through what I have and see where they lead. I do have a Jane Fowlie from around that time, but it is a bit unclear if she is the correct Jane/Jean. Do you have access to MyHeritage? If you haven't already been there, she appears with some Grieg and Hutcheson connections (various forms of Hutcheson). Get back to you in a few days. Thanks for making contact.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 18 04:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm on MyHeritage and that's most likely my tree your seeing. Here's a related thread with lots of information about my Fowlie/Hutchison ancestors.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764025.0
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline cardineil2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
 :)Hi there.  I was tidying up my STUART family tree and discovered a Walter FOWLIE.  He married my GGfather's sister Mary Jean Stuart (b. 1859).  The family lived in the New Deer area.  Mary and Walter had a son John Shand FOWLIE and he married a lady called Nettie ...?  A slim chance of a connection?