Author Topic: FOWLIE family  (Read 8769 times)

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FOWLIE FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Reference: STUART family and Walter FOWLIE
Good morning, I had expected to get back to you on your query a few days ago, but as you probably know, answers can get quite complicated in family history. Simple answer to your question is yes. Walter (1859 -  ), appears as a 2nd Cousin of mine, 5 times removed. I have him in my 5,000+ Legacy database as marrying Mary Jane Stuart (1858 -  ) on 31 March 1888 in Fergus, Wellington, Ontario, Canada.
After following a good number of leads, I found Mary's birth record with the Stuart name in ScotlandsPeople. However, her marriage record to Walter from FamilySearch (Ontario Marriages 1869 - 1927) shows her name as Mary Jane Stewart - handwritten registry entry available.. I imagine that the Stuart form is correct, but names do change as I have found with my own family name. The marriage record from Ontario shows her father as John Stewart and mother as Elizabeth Cassie.
Thank you for the lead on their son's name. I didn't have him in my records and have been chasing him down. Not an easy task and I haven't finished following all the connection to him yet. I did want to respond to you and ask about the Stuart /Stewart name. I have her with the first form and added the second form as an alternative. I would be interested to know how you handle her family name. Also happy to share anything on my Fowlie Family with you if you are interested.
Best regards.
FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
I found Mary's birth record with the Stuart name in ScotlandsPeople. However, her marriage record to Walter from FamilySearch (Ontario Marriages 1869 - 1927) shows her name as Mary Jane Stewart - handwritten registry entry available.. I imagine that the Stuart form is correct, but names do change as I have found with my own family name.
There was no such thing as 'correct' spelling until about the early 20th century.

I have a family in my tree who spell their name Stuart and Stewart at different times, quite randomly, in the second half of the 19th century, and they're not unusual.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 August 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the heads-up on the Stuart /Stewart name. Had wondered at various times if they were the same family. When I was born, there were two other babies born on the same day in the in the maternity hospital where I started this life. One of them was a girl and her name was Stewart or Stuart - can't remember which. For many years the three of us celebrated out birthdays together, then the families went their own ways and - wonder what happened to them.
FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little interested in the Fowlie and Forbes names this may not be of interest but please let me know
Alexander MacDonald married Barbara Avis (Evans) one of their children was born 1.8.1843 names John Stuart Forbes MacDonald not looked anymore on this person as yet
 one of Alexander and Barbara's daughters married Peter Barclay  on 18.1.1845 and had 6 children naming one Mary Fowlie Barclay b 18.10.1846 Pitsligo and d 11.4.1914 she married a George Scott
also note the Stuart name
Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 November 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little interested in the Fowlie and Forbes names this may not be of interest but please let me know
Alexander MacDonald married Barbara Avis (Evans) one of their children was born 1.8.1843 names John Stuart Forbes MacDonald not looked anymore on this person as yet
 one of Alexander and Barbara's daughters married Peter Barclay  on 18.1.1845 and had 6 children naming one Mary Fowlie Barclay b 18.10.1846 Pitsligo and d 11.4.1914 she married a George Scott
also note the Stuart name
Elizabeth

In my experience it was common to use the various grandparent's family names as middle names for a child at that time, at least in that part of Scotland and perhaps the entire country. I would do some further research and see if those surnames come up further back on either side...but Forbes certainly is very common in NE Scotland...Fowlie not so much. Good luck!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you will have a look for more I see in your list of searches you have Milne of Kincardon
My husbands grt grandmother was Helen Milne Mearn from Trinity Road Brechin
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 October 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
I realize this is an old post, but I thought I would write anyway.

My gggrandmother was Sarah Fowley, born c1819, Sligo, Ireland.  C1840, she married James Stuart (born c1815, Sligo, Ireland).  They were in Ontario, Canada by 1851 (and possibly as early as 1842).  Sarah's siblings were possibly: James (born c1821) and Ellen (born c1823).

Would you have any record of any Fowley's in Sligo, Ireland, please?  Of course I would love to know more about Sarah's family, but I am also interested in finding out if my Fowley ancestors lived in Scotland prior to their arrival in Ireland.  Thank you, Lisa

PS  How do you pronounce your surname, please - fowl-lee or foal-lee
I've been pronouncing it fowl-lee.

Also, Stuart spellings were mentioned earlier.  I've also seen it recorded as Steward.   ;)
I record my Stuarts as "Stuart" for several reasons including the name being handed down as Stuart as a middle name for a girl (her mother's maiden name was Stuart - I don't believe the mother had any male siblings that lived past 5 years old so perhaps this was a way to carry on the name). 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 October 19 19:20 BST (UK) »
Good morning Lisa,

It will take me a bit of time to sortout any connection that the Scottish Fowlie's have with your Sarah Fowley from Ireland. I have found some Fowlie's in Ireland, but the records are rather scarce.

Pronunciation of my family name is; in my part of the World - Fow-lee. However, pronunciation varies from country to country. Spelling of the name also varies and Fowley is a form that I have encountered now and again - amongst others. Stewart /Stuart same situation.

Please give me a few days to go look at what I have and then get back to you.

Hope all is well in your part of the World  :)

Warren Fowlie
Aotearoa New Zealand

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 October 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
PS  How do you pronounce your surname, please - fowl-lee or foal-lee
I've been pronouncing it fowl-lee.
I had a couple of Fowlies in my tree. They also pronounce it fowl-ee
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.