Author Topic: Where else do I go?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: Where else do I go?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 April 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
He may have been with 17th Indian Division which used a Black Cat emblem. If so he could have enlisted into the British Indian Army and his records will probably be in India which may explain why they couldn't find them in APC Glasgow.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Yes - the two black cat emblems are quite different so I felt if we saw the image it might provide a steer.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline PMILLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hope this works and is clear

Offline PMILLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
close up

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
Helps in that it is the insignia of the 1st London Division (56th London) so not the Indian Army.  The arm of service strip below the cat is bi-coloured so could well be Royal Engineers but in black and white can't be sure.

What were the details of the Patrick Mills your ex-army friend came up with?

Clutching at straws but don't want to give up!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 April 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
There was a Patrick Mills in Croydon at the outbreak of war - born 1904, with Kathleen Hunt - might that be him ? Looks like they married in 1949.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PMILLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys, The photo is a copy and no one has the original so its the best I can do at this point,but ill keep looking.
MY grandfather married my grandmother on the 2nd of November 1928 in Hutchensontown,Glasgow.
They lived in Glasgow not London and my grandmother was Britget Coyne, her parents were John and Catherine.My Grandfathers parents were Thomas and Mary Doherty.
I have found a number of family things while looking for the war records and have a copy of the Marriage cert etc.
I, with help from my mate found what we thought was him and my uncles did to,keeping in mind that my uncles are in their 80s they have done very well but a few small things have been wrong.The person was a Acting Staff Sergeant,Royal Engineers, # 103229.This person also was awarded a BEM which is in the London Gazette,Jan 9th 1946.Hope there are some glues here,thanks guys.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
Was the source for your findings with your mate and uncles Forces War Records.  This does have a listing for that name and rank etc.  If so, did you get whatever record they have for him?  And did it give any information that tied him to your family?  My gut feeling is that it didn't in that only the MOD have WW2 service records.

Also, when you applied for his records, did you quote both the service number and the date of birth on both occasions?

Were there any children born in the war years? Birth certs sometimes have service numbers on them.

Does the photograph show any sleeve insignia as in badges of rank?

Lots of questions I'm afraid, just trying to find clues!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline PMILLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 01:33 BST (UK) »
I did see the record on the site you mention,the second time I applied to the APC with the 1905 date I mentioned the person in the site and the service number,they said they could not find anything for the dates I put forward and the dates didn't much for the service number I sent.My mate is much better at this than me as he had researched his own family,he traced a lot of stuff on my grandfather,a number of streets they lived in Scotland,birth certs of children etc.He said he thought the person on the war-forces site was my grandfather,I'm not on the site and they didn't seem to show a date of birth so I didn't see how it would help to join.My dad is the youngest,he was born on the 15th of August 1939,just before the war so not sure this will help.The photo sadly is as it is,nothing else can be seen.
Thanks.