Author Topic: Death date of Owen Jones  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death date of Owen Jones
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel,
That is interesting that there is an obit for Catherine Williams in regard to Ty Philip. Did you not the date for that article? I would love to see it.

And thanks Dragon T, I didn't think those two death dates looked likely. The Sept 1907 date is nice but the location made no sense.

Dcbnwh, you have given more information to think about. I shall have a busy afternoon/evening following up these clues.
Thanks to everyone.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 April 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
I made a mistake on my previous post - Mary in 1861 was the daughter of John and Catherine, not John and Elizabeth.

Something I have seen with other migrations, is that the families don't always migrate together. Often, the husband emigrates first, to find work or start an arranged job, and then the family follows later.

It may not be the case in this instance but it might be worth checking for an earlier migration for Owen.

David

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Thanks for the correction. That is the family I thought it might be.
I have a letter written by Mary E's daughter-in-law written in 1934 to my g. grandfather John, Owens brother. In the letter she talks about Mary and her two sons living together in New York since late 1907. Owen is never mentioned. When I checked applications for passports for the two sons,  their father Owen is stated as deceased, but unfortunately no date is provided. So it is possible Owen did go to the USA first, but it just feels unlikely to me.
I ordered the marriage certificate and death certificate from BDM, not giving any GRO numbers. It will be interesting to see if they can find the death of Owen.
I would really like to find what is written on his memorial stone, if he has one.
Kind regards,
Libby

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:21 BST (UK) »

19th September 1899, Y Genedl Gymreig  - http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4446117/4446125/90/  I've translated for you

HANLEY. Last Thursday one of the oldest Welsh people in the town was buried, namely Catherine Hughes, widow of the late John Hughes. She was 77 years old. She was a faithful religious member in the town for 48 years. She was an Anglesey native, from Ty Philip, Llaniestyn; so much was her love for the "old country" she would not speak a single word of English to anyone if she thought they could speak Welsh,  A large crowd came to the funeral. The Revs J. Roberts, Currie, O. B. Jones, a Misters D. Thomas a W. Williams.

There are also brief notices for Margaret Jones - 7th December 1881 - and Owen Jones snr  -
2nd April 1891 - if you are interested. Both mention son John Jones but no other offspring

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel,
Thank yo so much for the newspaper article and for translating it! It is just so wonderful to read peices like that. I have visited the Llaniestyn district briefly and I am not surprised Catherine never forgot it. It is so beautiful and compared to crowded smoggy Hanley, she must have missed it so much.

I would love the notice for Owen snr. I thought there would have to be one for him as he was a Deacon with the local capel.

I do have a very long obituary for Margaret that John, her son wrote, but I would also be interested in the shorter notice for Margaret, if you are willing?

It is odd that only John is mentioned in these articles. But by the time Owen snr had died, there was only John and Owen left of the 9 children.

It is a lot to be doing for me, but I am very grateful.
Kind regards,
Libby

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 April 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
My best effort - it'I think the text was littered with biblical reference I didn;t necessarily pick up

DEATH AND BURIAL OF MRS MARGARET JONES,  TY PHILLIP, LLANIESTYN ANGLESEY. Our departed sister was the affectionate wife of Mr Owen Jones, elder of the Wesleyian chapel in Llanddona, and tender mother of Mr John Jones, assistant preacher on the Beaumaris circuit. She returned to faith when aged 16, a one can conclude she did not go long without experiencing a good transformation  through grace. She bore 9 children, 5 of whom went before her, four in the period of a fortnight. From this we can see she met many strong storms and heavy crosses, but  she had the strength in the face of the sacrifice to stand beneath each cross that she met and to say with Job, The Lord gave, and the Lord took away; Blessed is the name of the Lord ." She was not blessed with a strong constitution, and with the length of the road  and to a great degree she was denied the enjoyment of the privileges of  sanctuary. Despite this she continued to trust in He who died yn her place - the race was run to the end - faithful unto death. Many times she was heard to say during her last illness, which lasted over a year, that she would like to be allowed to go from the world of afflictions to the one where there is no pain or grief; but she said God's will be done - let him do what is good in his eyes

Around 10pm Wednesday 23 November, it become clear her time to depart was near. The only thing she said was that all was well. A few minutes before 2am the next morning. It was the most blessed going for her, but a sorrow for her family, for her immortal soul went home to the place of bliss when she was 48 years old, and has by now met her loved ones in the vale of glorious spirits.

At 1:30pm pm on Tuesday 29 November a large crowd of respectable people gathered and set off for the old LLaniestyn graveyard, where our sister's remains were laid to rest in the cold ground, in perfect hope of eternal life. Although she was laid down in the midst of the tears and weeping of her loved ones, yet they were comforted to remember their beloved mother had  overtaken "Gladness and joy and sorrow and sighing will flee away" The Lord gave the same religion to his family, so that their end might be like hers. Our honourable minster John Hughes served at the house and the graveside.

This was the first funeral under "the new burial Act"  in this parish. Thanks to Mr Owen Jones  for breaking the ice in this matter. R Hughes Llangoed.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 April 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Death

JONES  4th MArch, after a long and painful illness, aged 65, Owen Jones, Ty Phillip, Llaniestyn, Anglesey. Father of the Rev J. Jones, Penshurst, Victoria, Awstralia. Elder woth the Wesleyans in LLanddona for 35 years

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 April 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Mabel, for finding and translating those articles.
Isn't Margaret's heartbreaking. Parts of the obituary that John wrote are used in the article you translated. But it is really good to read about the gathering and walking to the church etc. The death certificate says she died of stomach cancer. No wonder she was begging to join god!

It is marvellous what was written in the newpapers in those days. I have been so surprised to come across articles of my ordinary relatives allowing me to have much more understanding of these people.

I will have to order Owen snr death certificate to find out what he died from. It sounds like it could have been cancer too, being long and painful.

Anyway, thanks once again, I am very grateful,
Regards,
Libby

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I finally received the Marriage Certificate from BD&M of Owen Jones and Mary Elizabeth Hughes and yes they were cousins. They shared the same grandmother but had a different grandfather. I would love to know what the technical term is for that relationship. Half cousins?

Unfortunately BD&M were unable to find Owen's death record. But I will keep trying to find that. They married in a Weslyan Chapel and Owen's faily were Weslyan Methodists, so I imagine a record will be available at a Weslyan Chapel in Bl Festiniog, if I could locate those records. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks,
Libby