Author Topic: Rev. Alexander Leslie.  (Read 2265 times)

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev. Alexander Leslie.
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
                     Many thanks for all the help in the past.................i'm yet stuck again. Have still been researching my Paumier lines of family. I found that two of our family members, Mary and Pierre Paumier married into the family of Leslie.........in Ireland.
While i have managed to track Pierre's life through both his marriages....both no issue, i have not had good luck with his sister Mary born i believe 1711 in Dublin. While I have managed to find two baptism's for a Mary and Elizabeth Paumer 6th January 1711, St. Catherine's Dublin, i'm really not sure that this Mary is our Mary Paumier.
I do know that Mary Paumier married Alexander Leslie(1720-30?) Alexander's father the Rev. William Leslie and his Mother was Penelope Leslie nee Story. Alexander was born in County of Hillsborough, but died 1762 in Aghaloo, co Fermanagh. Ireland.
I'm really trying to find the Rev. Alexander and Mary Leslie nee Paumier's Marriage. Would be nice to, to find the Will??
Can some one help??
Thanks once again for your past help.....best wishes to all, Shirley.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Alexander Leslie.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Alexander was born in County of Hillsborough
Hillsborough is a place (village, townland & parish) in County Down not the name of a county.

Usually clergy are fairly easy to trace but you haven't mentioned denomination? Church of Ireland perhaps?

Online tree suggests he died Aghaloo, County Tyrone. Helpfully, sources are listed to enable you to check the details and progress further.
https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Rev_Leslie_(2)
(if link doesn't work just google alexander leslie & aghaloo)

Aghaloo Civil Parish-
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/aghaloo/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, many thanks for your information. The site basically displays all that i know, but no Marriage or date of marriage for our Alexander and Mary. I have been searching for the "will" but haven't come across it as yet.
Thanks once again. Shirley

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
Did you not see the bit about Will?
Will[1] 10 Apr 1758 destroyed in Dublin, 1922
 the source-  Davey, Darryl. "The Rev. William Leslie, Rector of Aghavea, and his descendants in Ireland", in Cloghar Record. (Mullagh Murphy, Monahgan, Ireland : Cloghar Historical Society, St. Macartan's College), Vol. 18, No. 3 (2005), pp. 555-586 Available on JStor, accessed 5 Nov 2017.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your advice............have got into the "book" and will go through it. Thanks once again. Shirley.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
William Leslie was curate of Hillsborough in 1705 and 1706 -- probably for longer but records of his predecessor and successor there don't seem to have survived.  He was then rector & vicar of Aghavea, diocese of Clogher, from 1715 to 1761.  His eldest son Alexander was baptized at Hillsborough on 14 March 1705/6 and later became curate of Derrybrusk.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this new information..........my best, Shirely

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
William had been curate of Aghavea from 1684 to 1693 and probably longer.
His will dated 23 Apr. 1760 was proved 4 Mar. 1762: principal beneficiary his son Alexander, with remainder to Alexander's sons Alexander and Charles.  The will also mentions his 2nd son Henry and daughter Mary Noble.

Penelope was apparently his second wife.

Canon James Leslie, who compiled the books of C of I clergy, may have confused the two Alexanders.  One of them entered Trinity College, Dublin, on 1 Nov. 1765, gained his BA in 1770, and appears to be the same one who was curate of Derryvullen from 1772 to 1790, when he was appointed rector & vicar of Derrybrusk (both diocese of Clogher).  He married Mary Popkin of Swords (licence 14 Feb. 1794) but died 6 April that year -- unless that was his father!

Sorry, no more information available in any books that I have.  Leslie seems to have been very much a clergy family.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. While i have just read a few pages of the book........The Rev. William Leslie, Rector of Aghavea, and His Descendants in Ireland, it does have a lot of interesting information. I'm thinking of making the purchase, altho' i have already read the section about the marriage of Alexander and Mary Paumier..........unfortunately no other information is there. All the same, would be nice to have the "book" on hand...........thanks once again for your efforts. Shirley.