Author Topic: Charles McDonald, Petty Officer (Stoker) Royal Navy, Service Number 259446  (Read 1057 times)

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
The above gentleman was a 1st cousin x 4 times removed to my son in law.

He was killed in action on 10th May 1918 whilst serving on HMS Vindicitive which was involved in the 2nd Ostend Raid.

My question is this - His records - Death, Service and CWGC state his ship was HMS Broke. Would he have been serving temporarily for some unknown reason on the Vindicitive?

Thank you,

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McDonald, Petty Officer (Stoker) Royal Navy, Service Number 259446
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
HMS Vindictive was an obsolete cruiser which was sunk as a blockship during the Second Ostend Raid. A temporary crew for HMS Vindictive were selected from volunteers for the raid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Ostend_Raid
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 18 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tonepad that explains it. I will pass this information on and post his details on the WW1 In Memorium board on the 10th May.

Just to give a little more information on Charles McDonald. My son in law recently received a letter from the MOD and I will quote part of it.

"A historian, researching the 2nd Ostend Raid (and particularly the personnel aboard HMS Vindicitive) has proved that the only casualty of the rank of Stoker who died on the 10th May 1918 and who has no known grave was Charles McDonald. The unknown grave in Ostend New Communal cemetery will now be rededicated as his grave; a service of rededication will take place graveside at 3pm on the 100th anniversary of his death"

It goes on to invite my son in law to attend but unfortunately that will not be possible.

Lest We Forget

Dorrie

Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Good spot Tonepad!

Dorrie - you may have seen that now his grave is identified and is to be re-dedicated, his name will be removed from the Portsmouth Naval Memorial (which is to the missing) when the relevant panel is replaced.

Also tends to explain why on the CWGC details the ship's name is given in quotation marks which was puzzling me!  Some of the other seamen who were volunteers from other vessels have their original ship name in quotes but in the details their presence on Vindictive is shown.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD for the extra information. It helps to explain things for me.

My son in law had never heard of Charles McDonald but as luck would have it I am doing a wee family history for him at the moment (unknown to him - it's to be a present for father's day) so it was easy to find the connection. I was only asked to do direct line by my daughter but to honour Charles and his sacrifice we have decided to include him too. This will then be passed on to future generations.

Thank you both for your invaluable help.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife