Author Topic: McGaan, Ayrshire  (Read 936 times)

Offline LizzieSh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGaan, Ayrshire
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with information regarding the McGaan family in Sorn/Mauchline, Ayrshire?

I can trace back to Robert McGaan/McGavin, married to Marion Foster/Forrester in Sorn 1808.  Children were Mary born 1809 and Hugh born 1811 in Mauchline, plus Jean born 1819 in Sorn.

I can find nothing else about them.  Robert McGaan/McGavin was a common name in the area, so there are numerous possible parents, whereas the name of Marion appears nowhere other than her marriage and her 3 children’s baptisms.  The death certificate for Hugh gives no information about his parents, and I have been unable to trace the marriages or deaths of his sisters, other than Jean living with Hugh in 1851.

If anyone has done any research on this family I would be grateful to know what they have found.

Many thanks,
Lizzie

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGaan, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
I note a number of trees on An....y have reached very different conclusions and seem to have mixed up a number of families.

I think what you have appears to be the correct version but some have Jean & Hugh with different parents maybe because there were others in the area around the same time. One tree has the death of Jean as 1845 but as you know she was with Hugh.

Sadly I cannot add to what you have, the only suggestion I can make is to check with the Burns Centre in Kilmarnock to see if they have any burial books or other useful information.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline LizzieSh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion, Colin – I haven’t heard of the Burns Centre before so I will check that out.
Lizzie

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.