Author Topic: Brown/Abercrombie  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Callsher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brown/Abercrombie
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 April 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Morning Annie :-) I was talking about the Catherine Glen in the link you sent me. I already had her death certificate and her husband was dead before her. I'm not convinced she's mine (but won't throw it out yet). My Catherine who was married to James McGregor died in 1862 and she is a widow on her death record. I haven't found James' death certificate yet - I have him in 1851 census but not 1861. The 1851 census has him born 1790 in Moray. There is a possible birth for him but I can't prove it yet.

I think what I'm going to do is go into Scotland's People next week and go through David Brown deaths again. Is there anything you want me to look up while I'm there?
Callan, Sheridan, Gray, Brown, Lawson, Ormerod, Wishart, Hudson, Birkenshaw, Dryden

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 April 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Callsher,

What I was trying to establish (I haven't had time to check for myself) & not sure what you've found but...

Although Catherine (Glen) died in 1871 was this pre or post 1871 census?

If post the 1871 did you find David & her together in 1871 or was she on her own, if so was she a widow then?

Have you found David & Catherine on 1861 census together, if not have you found her on her own in 1861 & was she a widow then?

Basically to find a window of search for David's death.
What was his occ. on the last doc. or census you have as he may have been elsewhere when he died?

Thanks for the offer of a look-up for me but I would have to go through a few things as I have no access to my full tree at the moment (comp crash) & needs to be retrieved.
I have some info. from an old back-up which has enough for me to grasp when he may have 'disappeared'?
I will send you a PM once I have a look at what info. I may still have.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 April 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
My Catherine who was married to James McGregor died in 1862 and she is a widow on her death record. I haven't found James' death certificate yet - I have him in 1851 census but not 1861. The 1851 census has him born 1790 in Moray. There is a possible birth for him but I can't prove it yet.

It does look likely for James to have died pre 1855 i.e. more difficult to trace as deaths recorded were very few.
Where were the family in 1851 & where did Catherine die in 1862, was it the same address/area?
Being as she died after statutory reg. you could probably trace where she's buried i.e. hopefully beside James?

It may be worth a post on the Moray board for James with a link here for background info?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"