Author Topic: sackett/tomlins  (Read 964 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sackett/tomlins
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
hi im back yet again

new problem to solve, i have on my family tree mary sackett b 1567 d 1601 who married stephen tomlin b  1561 d 1605

i have as her brother john sackett yeoman b 1564 d 1623, i dont have an actual birth rec for mary but i do have one for john, from ancestry, it says
Name    John Sackett
Gender    Male
Baptism Date    22 Oct 1564
Baptism Place    St. Lawrence, Kent, England
Father    William Sackett
FHL Film Number    1850279

but i ve found this sackett websit
 https://sackettfamily.info/danecourt.htm
and on it it has this info from inscription in the church

VI. SACKETT, TOMLIN AND BELSEY MEMORIALS

1. To John Sackett, died 1623/24.
St. Peter's, on a pillar, south arcade.
Brass inscription (approx. 1' 6" x 5¼); though now mural, apparently once on a tombstone in view of 'Here lyeth interred the corps of John Sackett'. He 'yelded his spirit into his Saviour's hands' 24 February 1623, aged 59.
Son of John Sackett of Sackett's Hill; brother of Mary, who married Stephen Tomlin (died 1605).

so the above are my family but father is john sackett of sackett hill not william sackett like it says on ancestry (both johns, the one from ancestry with william as father, and from plaque in church with john sackett as father, were both born in 1564 ?? )

i ve just found this on a birth list of the above site

Baptisms Register, St Lawrence the Martyr, Thanet, Kent, Society of Genealogists, "22 October 1564 John s. William Sackett."
this is probs the one i ve got from ancestry, but theres no john sackett born to john sackett same year on the list ??

and now im even more confused because it says this ( on sackett website)
May 1592, John Saket, husbandman, of Sackett's Hill, St Peter in Thanet, Kent (son of Richard Saket the younger and Crystian ___.)
Will of John Sackett of Sackett's Hill, St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 1 March 1590, proved in the Canterbury Archdeaconry Court, May 1592 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-48-410). (Researched by Michael Callé).

JOHN SACKET     
Dated 1 Mar 1590          Proved xx May 1592                    [Abstract by Michael Callé]
Husbandman, of Sackett’s Hill, St. Peter in Thanet

Wife = Margaret
Son = Thomas
Dau = Joyce, Katherine, Judith, Eve
Will bequeaths his farm in the parishes of St. Peter & St John in Thanet to his joint executors, Katherine, Judith & Eve Sackett, & charges them with the maintenance of Thomas and Joyce.

no mention of john 1564 or mary 1567, untill i found this

John Saket, husbandman of Sackett's Hill, St Peter in Thanet, Kent, was probably the son of Richard Saket the younger and Crystian ___ and if so, was born, presumably in St Peter in ThanetG, after 1533. These assumptions are based on the 1545 will of Richard Sackett the younger, who owned a tenement at Sackett's Hill and who named as beneficiaries his children John and Margery, both of whom were less than twelve at that date. John Saket of Sackett's Hill was buried at St Peter's ChurchG, on 8 April 1592.1 He married in say 1555, Margaret ___. She was buried at St Peter's ChurchG, on 19 December 1596.2
     John was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in St Peter in ThanetG, on 9 April 1545.3 John, who was under twelve years of age when his father died, was to receive ten sheep and a cow when he attained that age and was to receive a horse, cart and plough, and wheat and barley at twenty-one.
     John made his will on 1 March 1590 at Sackett's Hill, St Peter in Thanet, KentG. Named as beneficiaries were his wife Margaret; his son Thomas; and his daughters Joyce, Katherine, Judith and Eve.4 He left his farm in the parishes of St Peter and St John in Thanet to his daughters, Katherine, Judith, and Eve, who were also appointed joint executors. Two of John's and Margaret's children, John and Mary, had died young. Of the remaining five, Katherine, Judith and Eve were charged with the maintenance of Thomas and Joyce. It is assumed that Thomas (for whom a birth record has not been found) was under age in 1590 but Joyce would have been nearly 29. As she was to be cared for by her sisters, it would appear that she was sickly by this date. She died at about the same time as her mother in December 1596. The will was proved in the Archdeaconry Court, Canterbury, KentG, in May 1592.4

it also says that
John Sackett b. say 1560, d. Mar 1575/76
Mary Sackett b. say 1560, d. Apr 1581

but the plaque states earlier

Brass inscription (approx. 1' 6" x 5¼); though now mural, apparently once on a tombstone in view of 'Here lyeth interred the corps of John Sackett'. He 'yelded his spirit into his Saviour's hands' 24 February 1623, aged 59.
Son of John Sackett of Sackett's Hill; brother of Mary, who married Stephen Tomlin (died 1605)

so if anyone can make any sense out of this for me without getting a headache i d be surprised lol