Author Topic: Trying to locate IMELDA BYRNE & MAY BYRNE  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Autumn9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to locate IMELDA BYRNE & MAY BYRNE
« on: Monday 30 April 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to piece together some family photos I have in my possession. With some excellent help on my previous post I have managed to add so many pieces to our family jigsaw - thank you so much to all that have helped me so far.

I'm now trying to locate IMELDA BYRNE's birth record, born approx. 1917 in Dublin. In particular I'm after her parents names and whether she had any siblings.

I know she married a COLIN CORTEN in Lichfield, Staffs, England in the last quarter of 1944 then moved to Berowra, NSW in Australia when she was 27.

I'm also trying to locate a MAY BYRNE. I don't know much about her unfortunately. She could possibly be a sister of Imelda, or maybe a cousin. They are around the same sort of age I think. (I have May's wedding pictures here and am trying to piece together how everyone is related).

For possible reference purposes, in one photo there is Valentine Byrne and wife Kathleen, also Margaret Daly (Valentine's Mother). The photo then says 'daughter May' but I cannot locate a May being born to Valentine and Kathleen. (It may be that their daughter Mary went by the name of May, or the photo has been labelled incorrectly).

In another photo there is Valentine and wife Kathleen, their daughter Kathleen, Imelda Byrne and May Byrne.

Thanks for any help!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate IMELDA BYRNE & MAY BYRNE
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 18 02:45 BST (UK) »
There are a son and a daughter with them in the 1980 electoral roll at Berowra. He is named after his father with a different middle name.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
Colyn Edwyn Corten was born in Queensland and served in the RAAF in WW11. His next of kin on the transcription gives his next of kin as C Corten. He enlisted in Sydney, service number 402227
Parents Charles livingstone Corten and Dora isabel Beyer
No further sign of the family after 1980.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
Colyn Edwyn Corten was born in Queensland and served in the RAAF in WW11. His next of kin on the transcription gives his next of kin as C Corten. He enlisted in Sydney, service number 402227
Parents Charles livingstone Corten and Dora isabel Beyer
No further sign of the family after 1980.

Crisane, I have all his and family's BDMs on the other post that has been linked above.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Autumn9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, it's really appreciated.

Colin Corten seems like an interesting character who I'd like to look more into further down my research plans. I know his and Imelda's children were called Jane and Kevin and were both born around 1946/7.

I cannot seem to locate Imelda anywhere while she is in Dublin, it's a bit of a mystery. In particular it's Imelda I need to trace as she's the one on the photo I have. It's just trying to place her parents and where she fits into the tree. I'm pretty sure she was my Nan's cousin, so she definitely would be a daughter of Valentine or one of his siblings (but not my Nan's Dad William).

Imelda is an uncommon name in the family, there has been a definite pattern of names, but this one is a unique one so far. I find it really odd I just can't find any record of her before she marries.  ???

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
I believe Imelda to be a daughter of Valentine and Kathleen. You will see on your other thread that a 'Melly' is listed as a sister of deceased Robert. Melly sounds like a possible nickname for Imelda to me.

May is also their sister.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Is there anything relevant to this thread on your other thread?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.