Author Topic: Whiteford and Kane  (Read 3326 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Whiteford and Kane
« on: Monday 30 April 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
James Whiteford was baptised in Culfeightrin Parish in May 1826.  No record of his mother but his father was Alic Whiteford.  A couple of weeks later he is listed on the Scottish OPRs for Campbeltown Argyll with parents, Alexander Whiteford and Margaret Kane/Cain.  In January 1852 he's again on the OPRs being baptised in Campbeltown with his daughter Mary Reid Whiteford immediately prior to emigration to Melbourne Australia.  His death record in Australia also confirms his parents and that he was born in Ireland.

A researcher of Whiteford families in Antrim believes there were a number of Whiteford families from Cross Townland in the Fair Head area, close to Ballycastle (Culfeightrin Parish).  He's posted that "I know there were Whitefords in that area as early as 1740 when John Whiteford was listed in Culfeightrin in the Protestant Householders' Returns.  There is a headstone in the Culfeightrin Church of Ireland Cemetery for Alexander Whiteford of Cross (1745-1821) and another in the Bonamargy Old Friary Cemetery (Culfeightrin) for Archibald Whiteford of Gartalorkan (1760-1809).  It is quite likely that Alexander and Archibald are sons of John.  Alexander (1745-1821) was the father of a Robert Whiteford (from the headstone) and also Alexander Whiteford (c1790-1867) who married Isabella Mathers about 1818 (2nd marriage) and migrated with his family to St John's in Newfoundland in 1850.  Information I have found about the Newfoundland family says that Alexander  (1745-1821) "had been among the first adherents of the Church of Ireland to open their doors to the celebrated Methodist evangelist Gideon Ouseley", and Alexander (1790-1867) "was engaged wholly to the work of the Methodist church in a lay capacity as circuit steward and trustee" and his family was described as a "close-knit Ulster and Wesleyan Methodist family".

There was also a Mary Whiteford (c1775) who married John McBride in the Fair Head area about 1800, and this Mary may have also been a daughter of Alexander (1745-1821).  A number of the children of their son John migrated to New Zealand and were all said to be from the Fair Head area."

My James Whiteford born May 1826 whose father was Alexander Whiteford had a brother named Archibald who I have not been able to trace in Ireland.  Lots of the same first names in this group from Fair Head.  I have records of Archibald's family living on Skye and Raasay from the 1840s on.  James is also listed on the 1841 Census with his mother and sister Catherine and Margaret.  Catherine married Donald Galbreath of Gigha and Margaret never married. They died in Argyll.  I have not been successful in finding Alexander or Margaret Kane/Cain's death records in Scotland.

I am interested in finding anything out about the Whitefords of Fair Head to see if my Alexander, his sons Archibald and James fit into this family. I am also interested in finding out about the family Kane/Cain in Antrim.

Thanks for any help.

Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteford and Kane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Has anyone looked to see who the Landlord was for Cross??

The look for any Leases, Deeds etc registered....

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMQ-29KV-Y?i=18&cat=185720
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
have you seen this simple one liner record
1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s
listing for each parish in Northern Ireland, which are quicker to lookup if you know the parish!

The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
Whiteford, Andw.   Townland: Seskin Year:               1816   Carrickfergus   Antrim
Whiteford, Hugh   Townland: Ballylaggan Year:      1816   Carrickfergus   Antrim
Whiteford, Thos.   Townland: Ballylaggan Year:      1816   Carrickfergus   Antrim
Whiteford, Dr. Hugh   Townland: Lisburn Year:             1827   Derryaghy   Antrim
Whiteford, John   Townland : Ballycreagath Year: 1825   Dunaghy   Antrim
Whiteford, Alexr.   Townland: Killughag Year:         1826   Layd   Antrim
Whiteford, William   Townland: Carnanee Year:        1826   Layd   Antrim
Whiteford, Willm.   Townland: Red Bay Year:           1826   Layd   Antrim
Whiteford, Willm.   Townland: Straid Year:               1826   Layd   Antrim
Whiteford, John    Townland : Mullinasilly Year :  1828   Loughgall   Armagh
Whiteford, Arch.   Townland: Rathkenny Year:      1825   Skerry   Antrim
Whiteford, Widow    Townland: Rathkenny Year:      1825   Skerry   Antrim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline watchmaker21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 November 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in Alexander Whiteford, the watchmaker, who emigrated from Fair Head / Ballycastle Co Antrim to St Johns, Newfoundland.  My interest is in him as a watchmaker, rather than as a family member.

Fair Head is an isolated place for a watchmaker to be based.  I presume he operated out of Ballycastle.

His wife's name is Isabella Mathers.  She is noted in places as having been married twice.  It is not clear if Mathers is her maiden name, or the name from her first marriage.

The interesting bit (for me) is that Mathers is a recognised family of watchmakers in Ballycastle.  A William Mathers worked there around 1760.  Samuel Mathers worked there from at least as early as his marriage in 1837 to his death in 1858.

My questions are:-

Is Isabella Mathers related to the Mathers who were watchmakers?

Did Alexander Whiteford work for the Mathers watchmakers as an apprentice or a journeyman (employee) and is that where he met Isabella Mathers?

Many thanks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 November 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Cross townland includes Fairhead. It is the most northerly townland in Culfeightrin civil parish. Several maps are available https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer .  if you haven’t used it before,  learn to use the sandwich shaped icon top right corner. The end of Fairhead road[ about the centre of Cross townland] is 4.4 miles from Ballycastle. The maps show the building outlines are few and wellspaced

1803 Names listed in the 1803 Agricultural Census for some Parishes in North Antrim.
from http://www.billmacafee.com/19centurydatabases.htm
Whiteford   Whiteford   Robert   Cary   Culfeightrin   Ballyreagh   Ballyreagh
Whiteford   Whiteford   Alexander   Cary   Culfeightrin   Cross   Cross
Whiteford   Whiteford   John      Cary   Culfeightrin   Cross   Cross
Whiteford   Whiteford   Archibald   Cary   Culfeightrin   Knockbrack   Nuckbrack
Whiteford   Whitefor   Margaret   Cary   Culfeightrin   Tervillin   Torvilin
Whiteford   Whitford   David      Dunluce Lower Billy Cloonty Clontis
Whiteford   Whiteford   Robert      Dunluce Upper Ballymoney   Seacon Seconn
Whiteford   Whiteford   Widow   Dunluce Upper Ballymoney Seacon   Seconn

Tithes Applotment Books  1823-1838 Culfeightrin Parish see http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/culfeightrin-parish.php
Butler, James Townland: Cross Year: 1831
Butler, John Townland: Cross Year: 1831
Jamison, Pat. Townland: Cross Year: 1831
McAleese, James Townland: Cross Year: 1831
McAleese, John Townland: Cross Year: 1831
McBride, Hu. Townland: Cross Year: 1831
McGraw, Fras. Townland: Cross Year: 1831
McKinlay, Denis Townland: Cross Year: 1831
McNeill, John Townland: Cross Year: 1831
no Mathers Whitefords   
note The Tithes created division as the bias is for Church of Ireland occupants to pay less tax than others, it  was collected not for state but for Church of Ireland using the state..
Griffiths Valuation of Ireland Culfeightrin Parish
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/griffiths-valuation/parish-of-culfeightrin.php
note no Mathers Whitefords 

Tithes Applotment Books  1823-1838 Ramoan Parish
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/ramoan-parish.php
Ballycastle is in Ramoan civil parish
note no Mathers Whitefords 
Griffiths Valuation of Ireland Ramoan Parish 1861
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/griffiths-valuation/parish-of-ramoan.php
Mathers, Mary Anne L: T: Ballycastle – [No 14] Anne Street She lives in one of fifteen houses valued at over £10pa amongst many much smaller houses her landlord was the executors of Hugh Boyd.
Whitefords none

1798 Flaxgrowers of ireland
Mathers is close to sound of Mathies/Mothies
Surname [Standardised]   Surname as spelt in source

street directories lennonwylie has
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/1852PD1.htm#Ballycastle
 1852  Mathers, Samuel, clock and watch maker

other research
PRONI WILLS
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=153537
this  has Samuel of Ballycastle died 1858  leaving all to his son Hugh Samuel Mathers who is in his minority however Samuel sisters Olivia Mathers,  Mary Ann Mathers and Jane Lucas (widow) are to be looked after in the premises so will join the exececutors looking after him. This explains the Griffiths valuation is in the name Mary Anne, the valuation books continue and are online at PRONI
eg
PRONI Reference: VAL/12/B/2/3C (1876 - 1884)
its still in her name Mary A Mathers see real page 50 of 112
you can follow on if interested

Genes Reunited I don’t think the Mathers are the Ballycastle family

ancestryireland has
Mary Ann   Mathers   birth 1833   father Samuel    Antrim
i have not sought Cain/Kane but would use same resources as above
 I stop now hoping something is of use
worldwide

Offline watchmaker21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 November 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the useful information.

My original query was - Is Isabella Whiteford and Samuel Mathers related.

The starting point was the will of Samuel Mathers.  He appointed as Executrices to his will his sisters Olivia Mathers, Mary Ann Mathers and Jane Lucas.  No mention of Isabella.

However the will of Jane Lucas appoints as the executor 'my beloved nephew James Alexander Whiteford'.  This is the son of Isabelle and Alexander Whiteford.  The only way James Alexander Whiteford can be a nephew of Jane Lucas is if Jane and Isabella are sister.

So Isabella Whiteford and Samuel Mathers are brother and sister.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 November 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
more power to the watchmakers, thanks for the reply
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 November 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am interested in Alexander Whiteford, the watchmaker, who emigrated from Fair Head / Ballycastle Co Antrim to St Johns, Newfoundland.  My interest is in him as a watchmaker, rather than as a family member.
Fair Head is an isolated place for a watchmaker to be based.  I presume he operated out of Ballycastle.
His wife's name is Isabella Mathers.  She is noted in places as having been married twice.  It is not clear if Mathers is her maiden name, or the name from her first marriage.
The interesting bit (for me) is that Mathers is a recognised family of watchmakers in Ballycastle.  A William Mathers worked there around 1760.  Samuel Mathers worked there from at least as early as his marriage in 1837 to his death in 1858.
My questions are:-
Is Isabella Mathers related to the Mathers who were watchmakers?
Did Alexander Whiteford work for the Mathers watchmakers as an apprentice or a journeyman (employee) and is that where he met Isabella Mathers?
Many thanks
On the contrary, it's more likely that Alexander Whiteford, like most watchmakers in rural Ireland, worked from home. If he also repaired and cleaned grandfather clocks then he likely visited local families or travelled around a wider area of the countryside.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 November 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Posting these extracts in case you haven't seen them-

Coleraine Chronicle, 21 Jan.1888: … from the Toronto Christian Guardian of the 16th Nov. last, relative to the death of a native of Ballycastle—Mr. James Alexander Whiteford:—" The name of Whiteford has been for forty years associated with St. John's Methodism, and those conversant with it …
[same issue] Whiteford—At Dunluce Cottage, St. John's, Newfoundland, on the 24th September last, James Alexander Whiteford, aged 65 years, a native of Ballycastle.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!