Author Topic: Parish Marriages help...  (Read 1788 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Marriages help...
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
I don't know the area either, I have been using online maps to see where places are  :)  West Stowell is showing as next to Wilcot.  ;D  My Wiltshire interests are in West Wiltshire. :)

Genuki is always a good place to search - I normally just put Genuki followed by the place name into a search engine.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/Wilcot

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wendymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much x
Hillier-George, Keziah,Thomas,William of Pewsey. Wiltshire.
Hillier-Herbert, of Manchester, Lancashire.
Hillier-Eleanor of Manchester, Lancs. also, Hoffman Eleanor, & Sowerby Eleanor.

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I know the area quite well as my grandfather was from Burbage and I visit every so often still.  I'm also the OPC for Easton Royal,Milton Lilbourne and Wootton Rivers.  I had a look at the marriage of William and Mary Hillier you mentioned. Not easy!  Hillier's a very common name in the Pewsey Vale (Grandad Alf's mother was a Hillier).  I found four marriages from 1784 to 1793 which could be possible. Two in 1793 I disregarded as unlikely as they appear to have children within a year of the marriage in their marital village. These were William Hillier and Mary Brice in Collingbourne Ducis and William and Mary Cooper in Upavon.  The third pair,William Hillier and Mary Gee in 1784 in Bromham, don't appear to have children unless they move away from the wedding place. The fourth is the more probable pair. These are William Hillier and Mary Neate in Bishops Cannings on 12 Sep 1785.  Both were of the parish. They appear to have a son Thomas nine months after the marriage in Bromham. It's possible that they then moved to Wilcot but cannot be proved.  George Hillier,as you know,was baptised in Wilcot on 1 Aug 1791. His parents are listed as living in West Stowell. West Stowell is a hamlet that's part of Wilcot.  He appears to be their only child there.

I think it likely that William Hillier,the father,was baptised in Wilcot on 5 Dec 1769,the son of John and Mary of West Stowell.  They also had a son John baptised in Wilcot on 18 Jul 1771 and a daughter Mary (19 Sep 1775). Mary is the likely mother of the illegitimate girl Sarah in 1799.

So Mary Neate is the best choice so far but not necessarily the right one. I've been through all the William Hillier/Hilliard/Helliers etc married to a Mary in the surrounding area so unless William's bride was from over the nearby border with Berkshire or they married in a non-con chapel, we're stuck with her at the moment. 

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Regards,

Linda

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Apologies for my mistake - Thomas Hillier,George's putative brother, was baptised in Bishops Cannings! I noticed that George called one of his sons Thomas too.

Offline wendymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Apologies for my mistake - Thomas Hillier,George's putative brother, was baptised in Bishops Cannings! I noticed that George called one of his sons Thomas too.

Thank you so much for all your time and information you have found for me. It is confusing though and not knowing anything definate I don’t want to follow the wrong family  ::)
Yes, George did name his youngest son Thomas and Thomas is my great great grandad.
I am so grateful for what you have looked up though as I didn’t know about George having a brother though if this is the right family x   X

Offline wendymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
I will have a look though at what I can find out about Thomas - George’s “brother” and I’ll let you know if I come across anything  :)