Author Topic: Trying to trace the men who rescued the crew of the "Elizabeth"  (Read 961 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace the men who rescued the crew of the "Elizabeth"
« on: Monday 30 April 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
In Feb 1866 the "Elizabeth" ran aground on Christchurch Bar. The crew were rescued by 9 men from Christchurch. I am trying to trace who they were and what became of them.
The cox'n who masterminded the rescue was John Sibley Derham (my 2 x great grandfather) so I know all about him, but the other 8 were:
George Stride, William Clarke, Robert Clarke, Thomas Clarke, Charles Way, Henry Coakes, James Bartlett and Henry Cutler. Henry Cutler was described in newspaper reports as a fishmonger from Bournemouth and was at first given credit for rescuing the men single handedly.
There was also a William Jeans mentioned who helped the Derhams adapt the rescue boat, but did not go out in it.

There is also an account of the rescue here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lzn/

If would seem that the other 7 men were just people who had gathered on the beach, not necessarily known to Sib Derham and Henry Cutler, but I would expect they had experience of sailing otherwise they wouldn't have gone out in such conditions.

can anyone find them, please?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace the men who rescued the crew of the "Elizabeth"
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
There is a Henry Coak (Coakes) on the 1861 census from Christchurch who was a Fisherman at this time. He was born in 1836-could be one of the ones you are looking for. I don't know of course if William, Robert and Thomas Clarke were brothers or not, but there are three brothers with these names who were grandsons of John Clarke, however they were from Dorset, so maybe too far away. They would have been 26,33 and 36 in 1866.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Henry Coak(s) b 1836 looks a strong possibility. I've also found him in 1881 and 1901 described as mariner and fisherman. He lives in Purewell which isn't far from Stanpit and Mudeford where a lot of the extended Derham family lived.

Even if the other men weren't friends of Sib Derham, I would think they must have known of him and the Captain James Derham who is also mentioned (I think James was his cousin - son of Walter Derham and Jane Gulliver son of George Derham- but not definite.), otherwise they wouldn't have  trusted their expertise in adapting the boat and going out to sea with Sib in the storm.

The Clarkes are going to be difficult, especially not knowing if they were related to each other. Where in Dorset did you find them? If they were from a seaport, they could have come to Christchurch on their own vessel and were waiting out the storm there before returning home.

modified to correct relationship
James son of Walter was a porter in Southampton docks, James son of George was a master mariner in 1861, and although described as a coal merchant in 1871, I believe he was captain of a vessel which carried coal around the south coast ports and across to IOW
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
In 1871 James Derham was living a few doors away from Abraham Coakes, father of Henry.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
I found them on the 1851 census by putting William Clarke and Robert as one of his siblings.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 May 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I've got Robert, William and Thomas together in Chardstock. Rather far inland and practically in Devon. Looks like Robert dies in 1861, Q1.
Maybe William is the father (he's listed first) and Robert and Thomas are his sons.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
I've found a Charles Way age 40 in 1871, in Ryde IOW, occupation: master mariner (unemployed). The trouble is in 1861 he's a grocer, still in IOW, but in Northwood. I'm sure it's the same person, he is born in London and has a wife called Edith born in Brading, IOW. I don't think someone could change occupation and get to be a master mariner in 10 years, One occupation must be a mistake. Can't find a marriage for a Charles Way to Edith something either, nor can I find him in 1851.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 May 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Good candidate for James Bartlett, a fisherman in 1871 living in Stanpit, nr Christchurch

Piece 1177 Folio 32 Page 11