Author Topic: Robertsons and Stewarts  (Read 3223 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Robertsons and Stewarts
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
How about this for a rather far-fetched but not impossible scenario?
Starting from proven fact, Robert Robertson and Elizabeth Stewart (marriage not found) are having children between 1768 and 1781.
What if the Robert that Throth refers to (1745 approx - 1797) is my man and the Elizabeth Robertson wife of Robert Robertson who died in 1802 aged 73 is his mother?  This Elizabeth would be just the right age for the only marriage I did find, in 1747.
It would mean that there are two Robert Robertson - Elizabeth Stewart marriages, one in 1747 and another, later one which we can't find.  Not very likely maybe, but far from impòssible!  'My Robert's first male child is Robert and his first female child Elizabeth, and it would be quite common for a father to pass his trade on to his son.

I have Duncan in 1841, I think.  There is also a James Robertson in South Street who could be another brother. 
This is all very interesting, I love a good puzzle!
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
Nice idea, but a couple of problems:

By Scottish naming tradition the first son was given the name of the paternal grandfather while the first daughter was given the name of the maternal grandmother.  Second daughter was given the name of the paternal grandmother.

Next serious problem is Dalno (Dalnuidh) of Bohespic. The 1747 marriage shows Elizabeth Stewart from Balnabodach (that's on the north side of Loch Tummel), but Robert Robertson is from Dalno of Bohespic which is Wildwest country! Lots of children were not baptised and therefore not recorded

Worse still, Dalno was counted as part of Nether (or Easter) Bohespic as it was held in wadsett (a sort of security for a loan). So the tenants were the wadsetter's tenants and very little was recorded until The Duke of Atholl redeemed the wadsett in 1754 when the tenants were Duncan Robertson and Neill Robertson.  Nether Bohespic itself had two two tenants, both called Robert Robertson as well as a Duncan Gow and a Duncan McAlastair.

One of the Robert Robertsons most probably was the Robert Robertson in Dalriach of Bohespic, later of Dalno, who had an illegitimate child by Janet McKenzie who had been employed at Dalno, but  was later in Strathtummel (with her parents?). This is in the Kirk Session minutes (2 Oct 1743), but the sex and age of the child are not mentioned and it was not baptised, so nothing recorded in the OPR.

If you want information on any Blair Atholl marriages or families ask away, but we don't see an obvious link at present.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 May 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
OK spot the deliberate mistake.  ;D
Elizabeth was indeed Robert Robertson's second daughter.  The first daughter was Margaret.
But yes, I do know that the hypothesis was far fetched at best :)
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia