Author Topic: Whereabouts of 'Dam Bank' Belfast?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of 'Dam Bank' Belfast?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 May 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
I looked at it as well but it seems strange that within a few days a family would say they live at 5 Dam Bank on a civil record and 5 Cupar Street on a church record if it wasn't the same place!? Especially as they did it twice two years between!

It was obviously a place name that was used by a number of people over a number of years though which makes it strange that it is not mentioned in more places. Except the 1900 article gaffy referred to.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Duneane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 May 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with you myluck - it strongly suggests that Cupar St was also known locally as Dam Bank. Or at least there may have been a terrace on Cupar Street called Dam Bank.
Brady; Murphy; Randles; Gray

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 August 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I have a certificate from 1871 showing the place of birth as '7 Dam Bank' in Belfast Urban No 9.

Does anybody know where Dam Bank was please? I believe that Limestone Road and Cupar Street were in Urban No 9 and I've scoured the OSNI Historical maps, but can't find Dam Bank anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

I'm exactly the same I've just found a birth also 1871 address was 5 Dambank. Did you ever find out where this was

Regards
Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 August 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
The O'NEILL family were at Dam Bank in 1869 at the birth of son John LINK to birth record #16

But the baptism of John gives their address as Cupar Street LINK to baptism register
There is a transcription of the baptism of Francis O'NEILL with an address of 5 Cupar Street

Cupar Street is near an area called the Mill Dams and William O'NEILL gave his occupation as a Rougher (a person who is involved in weaving a piece of cloth from the loom), the same as Andrew HYNDMAN
Perhaps Dam Bank and Cupar Street are the same place

It's the ONeills I'm researching and have found Francis birth 20th September 1871, 5 Dambank the informant was Cecilia McAlinden also 5 Dambank, mother of Francis was Ann ONeill maiden name McAlinden.. in future records the were living at Sultan Street and Lincoln street.
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Duneane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry Colette - I’ve not been able to find Dam Bank on any map... so must presume it was either a terrace on Cupar Street or just a local name for the area.
Brady; Murphy; Randles; Gray

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry Colette - I’ve not been able to find Dam Bank on any map... so must presume it was either a terrace on Cupar Street or just a local name for the area.

I noticed there was Dam Street of Millfield and was the site of Dam side mill, in 1861 I'm wondering if there was a Dam Bank in that area  but just a small number of houses on it? don't think we'll ever know for sure.

Colette

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 September 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi.
As suggested in a few previous postings that  Dam Bank and Cupar Street being the same street, is more than likely the case. Dam Bank may have been it's nick-name until the Belfast Corporation took over the street and called it Cupar Street.
If my memory serves me right, there was a linen mill in the Cupar Street area and if so there would be a dam for soaking the flax.
In the street directories a high percentage, if not all in those days, of residents were mill workers and would live in houses that belonged to the mill owners. A lot of those houses, housed two families, one downstairs, one upstairs. An outside toilet in the back-yard served both families.
Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn