Author Topic: Frances LUCAS Marriage circa 1854  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Frances LUCAS Marriage circa 1854
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Matilda J. Lawton passed away in October 1901.  Her family members were Captain Henry and Frances Allen and George P. Allen.  She was aged 41 years, 1 month and 1 day.  Isle of Man papers were asked to copy.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m0y/

Are you interested in further information about the family, or are you only interested in the marriage date?   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline LyndenMHughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have traced the 4 children of Frances and Henry and the marriages and sadly early deaths of each of them.  George P(arker) Allen was the only one to have children and I have traced them through to 1940s but no further.

Frances has been relatively easy to trace from Isle of Man records, but Henry is proving difficult, as I can’t find any definitive proof of his date or place of birth.  I can’t find him before 1860, when he is enumerated twice in San Francisco on the Federal Census, and his children all give different places of birth for him on subsequent censuses.  My belief is that he was born circa 1815 somewhere near Providence in Rhode Island, but I haven’t been able to confirm that.  I was hoping that the marriage record for Henry and Frances would give his father’s name, which would narrow down my search considerably.  I have contacted a likely Church in Providence to check for baptisms around that time and am waiting to hear back from them.

Very grateful for any further help 😊

Offline LyndenMHughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Also - thanks for the other information you provided and the time you spend digging it out.  I have the newspaper clippings but not the Directory information which is all useful information. Frances died in 1883, so no need to look for her after that date.