Author Topic: Grandads Wedding Photo  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Mat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grandads Wedding Photo
« on: Sunday 07 August 05 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've noticed it's been a bit quiet around here lately and was wondering if you guys could tidy up my Gran and Grandads wedding photo for me please. It was taken in 1936 and is on card, on the back it has the photographer's notes about the colours that had to be used, and in big capital letters " special".
They must of pushed the boat right out for this one "Special " occasion, this is the only colour photo I have of my granddad so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanx Mat
Watson: Portsmouth,Hants.
Emslie: Aberdeen/ Portsmouth.
Watson: Cliffe, Kent.
Barns/Barnes: Higham, Kent.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Re: Grandads Wedding Photo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
There is not much to work with here, but heres a start

Second thoughts at 10.30 the original looks better!!!!!!!!
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
Just a quick go before I go to bed
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 05 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi mat,
   This was a little tricky. Besides the obvious nick and scratches there is a fair bit of staining,especially on his forehead and right hand. The right hand has no detail so you cannot make out The individual fingers. I was not sure wether the marks below the bouquet were stains or ruffells in the dress  itself. If it is shadow from the dress I can put them back in.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 05 07:58 BST (UK) »
Great stuff Deadants.  No excuses but I was fiddling on my laptop using a mouse pad, so not much control.  But your result looks fine.

I wonder if members who have a go at restoring could log each step we try, not too detailed, this would then help others (including me of course) to improve our skills.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 05 08:30 BST (UK) »
I wonder if members who have a go at restoring could log each step we try, not too detailed, this would then help others (including me of course) to improve our skills.

You have brought up a good point. I have been slack on providing my steps, I will try and give a bit of a step by step. I did do something a little different with some of the discolouring on the dress and the lady's face. I created a new layer then took a sample  of the true colour near the stain the painted onto the new layer with a 50% opacity over the stain. I set the blend mode on the new layer to colour.

I created a colour adjustment layer and adjusted the midtones and the highlights.
I created a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and set brightness to -17.
Finally I used a filter called noise ninja to clean it up a bit more.

That's about it.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Mat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 August 05 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
        Firstly I would like to thank you all for your time and your efforts, what a great job you've done and I am really pleased with the results ;D
     Deadants, not really that sure what the marks on the dress are I took another look at the original and they don't look like marks or scratches, could they be a shadow of the flowers? But I think it looks better without them.
     I found this photo when I was clearing out my mum's house after she died, it was just in a bag up in the loft, don't you think that this photo must have really meant a lot to my grandparents, really don't understand why it was treated like that and allowed to get into that state.
    Well I've had me rant and got that of my chest, so thanx once again to you lot for restoring it to its former glory.

Thanx and all the best

Mat

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 August 05 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Using PSP9 I used mainly the clone stamp for the flower repair, Edge Preserving smooth filter, Texture Preserving smooth filter, light & dark filter, sharpen once Cropped away the egde blur & reframed. Thats about it.

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Mat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
          Another really good result Ken, thank you. Also thanks once again to all of you for your efforts.

All The Best Mat