Author Topic: Murdo Urquhart, died 1930  (Read 953 times)

Offline Lee Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Murdo Urquhart, died 1930
« on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:14 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to locate the grave of my ancestor, Murdo Urquhart, who died at 5 Brown Street in 1930 but I have no idea where to begin. Will be visiting Inverness next week and would so like to find his place of rest. Any help gratefully received.

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murdo Urquhart, died 1930
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
There are 3 graveyards in Inverness City Centre (Chapel Yard and Greyfriars which are both adjacent to Friars Lane, and Old High Churchyard which is only a hop step and jump away) but they were about full by then. Chances are he is interred in Tomnahurich Cemetery, and an enquiry to Highland Council Cemeteries Dept at Kilvean Crematorium/Cemetery (which is way out of town, off the Fort William road) should tell you whether he is in Tomnahurich or not, since you have a date of death. The office telephone number is 01463 717849
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Might there be a newspaper report of the death, mentioning the funeral arrangements?  Did he leave a will that specified such things?

Offline Lee Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
There are 3 graveyards in Inverness City Centre (Chapel Yard and Greyfriars which are both adjacent to Friars Lane, and Old High Churchyard which is only a hop step and jump away) but they were about full by then. Chances are he is interred in Tomnahurich Cemetery, and an enquiry to Highland Council Cemeteries Dept at Kilvean Crematorium/Cemetery (which is way out of town, off the Fort William road) should tell you whether he is in Tomnahurich or not, since you have a date of death. The office telephone number is 01463 717849

I tried the online search for Tomnahurich but came up empty. Won't hurt to give Kilvean a call though, you never know. Thanks for the number.

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
I should have explained that the Council no longer has an office at Tomnahurich (which cemetery has been full for a few years now) and their Inverness area admin office for Cemeteries is now located at Kilvean, where records for all the local burial grounds are apparently held. Burial information is not on-line (other than war graves which was done by a third party)
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)