Author Topic: Ernest Frank Hill  (Read 361 times)

Offline damelia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Frank Hill
« on: Thursday 03 May 18 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, I posted on here quite some time ago asking for help in finding Ernest Frank Hill who was born in 1906 in Westbury, Somerset to Henry Hill and Susan Hill nee Mumford.  Ernest married Annie (Nancy) Whittaker in 1926 and he, his wife and young daughter Pearl immigrated to Western Australia in 1928.  They left England on 27 November on board the 'Esperance Bay', arriving in Fremantle, Western Australia on 28 December, 1928. The reason they immigrated to Western Australia is because their daughter Nancy had rickets and it was suggested that a climate with plenty of sunshine would be helpful in her recovery.
Unfortunately Annie died in October, 1932 leaving Ernest to care for Pearl.  As he was unable to care for Pearl and work at the same time, she was ultimately made a Ward of the State and eventually adopted.  The last record I have of Ernest Frank Hill is in a rate payment book of 1933 in Perth.  From there, Ernest seems to vanish into thin air.  There does not seem to be an Australian death certificate for Ernest.  Certain family members have speculated that he may have returned to his home county of Somerset, England but I have been unable to find a travel record of him doing so or a record of him living and dying in England
Although someone in RootsChat very kindly looked into this mystery a few years ago for me, I would appreciate any further help in finding Ernest, whether he may have remained in Australia under an assumed name or returned to England.  Any help would be very much appreciated. 
Thank you,
Anne

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Frank Hill
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
Do you have Ernests exact date of birth. 

What was his occupation.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline damelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
I believe his birth date was 7 December 1906, he was baptised later on 2 January 1910.  I believe he was a farm labourer.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
Original thread here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717863.msg5616501#msg5616501

Just to note for other researchers your reply#7 on that thread that the reference to his death in WA in 1940 is incorrect.  ;)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
A very long shot - there is a mention of an Ernest F HILL getting a land ballot in Dulacca Qld in 1933.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article181196205

I can't see any Ernest F HILL deaths (with parents Henry and Susan, or "unknown") in Qld though.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, I posted on here quite some time ago asking for help in finding Ernest Frank Hill who was born in 1906 in Westbury, Somerset

That would be the village of Westbury-sub-Mendip ;D
It was named thus to distinguish the village from Westbury (Wiltshire), Westbury-on-Trym (Bristol) and Westbury-on-Severn (Gloucestershire). Also a Westbury in Shropshire ;D

Ernest's birth was registered in the Wells Registration District - consistent with a birth in Westbury-sub-Mendip.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)