Author Topic: Richard Dudley Royalist.  (Read 4636 times)

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Dudley Royalist.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Visitation of London gives family tree attached
Staffs:BARNETT,SAUNDERS/SANDERS,HICKMAN,GREGORY,WISE,GEORGE,ASTON, DAVENPORT/DEVONPORT
Bucks:PRATT,NUTT,STANNET,WELLS,MITCHELL,SEARES
Kent:GATES,BEACH/BEECH,HAMILTON,SCAMP,JOY,PEARSON,TURNER, KING,WILKINSON,HARRIS,JEWHURST,AVERY,FEATHERSTONE,REEVE,WILLARD, REYNOLDS,KEMSLEY/KIMSLEY,WILES,LEE,EPPS,FOX
Worcs:STOKES,HUGHES,FARMER,MULLET,TAYLOR,SOUTHALL
Ssx:BODLE,BUTLER,HOOD,DENNIS
Leics:DUDLEY,HUDSON,JEFFO,SHRIGLEY
Essex:PATIENT/PATIENCE,CASS,HOY,WATTS
Derby:PEARSON

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
It is Richard Dudley who tops this pedigree that Dean Dudley quotes as 'Richard Dudley of Clopton, who held land at Swepstone' whether this is true or not I don't know.

The pedigree Thomas gives, states to refer to Leicester and Northampton, which I assume means the visitation pedigree of Northamptonshire 1564 or 1619 of the Dudley family of Clopton Manor.

The 1564 pedigree is topped by -
Richard Dudley, Esq of Barnwell who marries Agnes or Joan Hotoft daughter of Sir Robert Hotoft of Clopton and had 3 sons, William, Thomas and John Dudley.
Succeeded by -
William Dudley, Esq of Clopton who married Christian Darrell daughter of UNK Darrell, Esq of Lillington Darrell and had 2 sons, Lawrence and Robert Dudley.
Succeeded by -
Lawrence Dudley, Esq of Clopton who married Frances Lesham daughter of Thomas Lesham, Esq of Lexham Burnham and had William, his only son and heir.
Succeeded by -
William Dudley, Esq of Clopton who married Elizabeth Porter daughter of Augustine Porter, Gent of Belton and had Thomas, Gilbert and William Dudley.
Suceeded by -
Thomas Dudley Esq of Clopton who married Mary Watsone daughter of Edward Watsone, Gent of Liddington and had Edward, Jeremy, John and Kenelm Dudley.

I'm not sure from whom, Richard Dudley of Swepstone descends. Thomas's Grandfather would be born c1530 and I think he is the Richard who dies 1605 listed as by will
'Richard Dudley the Elder of Swepstone, Yeoman'
Given the time period, Richard could be a grandson of William Dudley Esq and Darrell but im not sure.
The pedigree misses out a generation. Between Richard of Barnwell and William of Clopton, numerous sites and stirnet put this generation in -
Sir Richard Dudley of Clopton who married Elizabeth de Beauchamp daughter of Sir William de Beauchamp.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm not certain if Lawrence did indeed only have 1 son. The Dudley family of swepstone in the mid/late 1500s also use the names Lawrence, William and Robert. The same names used by the Clopton family.
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Staffs:BARNETT,SAUNDERS/SANDERS,HICKMAN,GREGORY,WISE,GEORGE,ASTON, DAVENPORT/DEVONPORT
Kent:GATES,BEACH/BEECH,HAMILTON,SCAMP,JOY,PEARSON,TURNER, KING,WILKINSON,HARRIS,JEWHURST,AVERY,FEATHERSTONE,REEVE,WILLARD, REYNOLDS,KEMSLEY/KIMSLEY,WILES,LEE,EPPS,FOX

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 May 19 19:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure who this Richard Dudley is. I can see no burial or anymore information on this person and no execution place or date is given.

There are only 2 Richards bapt in Swepstone in the early 1600s.
Richard Dudley 1610 son of Humphrey Dudley
Richard Dudley 1609 son of Dennis Dudley

A William Dudley son of Richard Dudley, Yeoman is apprenticed to Thomas Dudley at the Vintners company in 1615.
No baptism found for this William but likely the son of Thomas's brother Richard.

I know that in 1661 a Richard Dudley was in possesion of a Mansion House in Swepstone.
I know of no Captain Dudley but there was a Lieutenant Colonel Richard Dudley of Swepstone who was an ex captain of Henry Hastings Horse (Same regt as Henry Dudley) He was a POW in 1644 at Upton Warren, Worcs and was exchanged. fined 1/10th £106 in 1649.

A Charles Dudley is apprencticed in 1666 and listed as son of Richard Dudley, Gent of Swepstone. No record of this birth is found.

A quick remark on Henry, he is likely to be Henry, son of Thomas the Vintner but seeing as there is missing baptisms for other Dudley families and the fact that Henry lists a brother William in his will in 1688 (Although this could be a cousin) Im not totally sure. Thomas the vintner only had 2 sons a Henry and Francis.

Henry certainly baptises his 2 daughters in Swepstone in the 1640s and is listed as a 'Gent' and a Henry Dudley is noted in civil war research as 'Lieutenant Henry Dudley of Swepstone'
Although Henry is also listed as 'That great robber of the country' Im not sure what this refers to but in 1657 there is a court case where Thomas Dudley brings his son Henry to court because Henry was staying in lewd and bad company in London and kept getting into prison. Thomas payed £1,100 over the years to get henry out of prison and pay his debts. A vast sum of money at the time. Thomas then purchased some land for Henry in Swepstone so he could take him out of the city and into the country to stop bad habits.
Nothing is mentioned of Henry's wife and children. So is this the same henry? Most likely yes. Its the only Henry Dudley in Swepstone during the 1640s atleast baptising children anyway. The only henry listed as a gentleman throughout his life and the signiture on Henry Dudley of Odstone's will in 1688 is almost exactly the same as the one on court documents in the 1650s.

Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Lt Henry and Capt Richard sound like the same person

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Perhaps, I think they got confused between a Richard Dudley of Clopton and a Henry but I'm not sure as they list no sources.
Henry died in 1688 in Odstone, Leicestershire.
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
Capt Richard was ‘executed at Tyburn, on Wednesday, the 22nd of February, 1681, aged forty-six years.’
That would make his birth 1634/5. Are there any baptisms is Swepstone in this period?

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
Yes a Richard Dudley is baptised 22 Oct 1635 to a Richard Dudley and his wife Bethsheba Armston.
Not sure who this Richard Sr is. He marries 1634 Orton on the Hill, Leicestershire.

The wills of 3 Richard Dudleys confuse things. I think the 1587 will is for Thomas the Vintners grandfather Richard who is at the top of the pedigree.
The 1623 will could be Thomas's brother Richard and the 1605 Will, I think is Thomas's cousin Richard, son of his grandfathers brother william.
Its hard to say as baptisms are scarce and theres multiple Richards baptising at the same time.