Author Topic: Richard Dudley Royalist.  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Richard Dudley Royalist.
« on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I’m wondering if anyone knows anymore about the Dudley family of Swepstone or if there is a connection to the Dudleys of Northamptonshire and Clopton possibly descending from a younger cadet branch although the 2 visitations in Northamptonshire don’t list sons of the younger sons I don’t think.

I have the following pedigree of my line.
Mary Dudley
B: 1711 Cosby, Leic
M: Richard Kenney 1740
D: ?
Parents:
Richard Dudley (Gent)
B: 1681 Cosby, Leic
M: Mary Bottomley/Bothomley 1710
D: 1748 (Also leaves Will)
Parents:
Richard Dudley (Gent)
B:1644 Swepstone, Leic
M: Elizabeth Bent 1672
D: 1710 (Leaves a substantial will bequeathing large sums of money in the hundreds to various people and land)
Parents:
Richard Dudley (Gent)
B: 1622 Swepstone, Leic
M: ? To a Susannah, not found marriage.
D:?
This Richard Dudley is listed as one of the prominent Royalist Gentlemen in Leicestershire alongside Sir John Beaumont of Coleorton and Wolstan Dixie of Bosworth Hall.
The dudleys are also listed as one of the prominent 35 families of the county.
Parents:
Lawrence Dudley
B:1593 Swepstone
M: abt 1621
D: ?
Parents:
Richard Dudley
This is were the discrepancy is. Some trees list him born 1535 and dying 1630but I feel this is incorrect. I think there is another generation before Lawrence.
Lawrence’s father Richard is also one of the 3 farmers or Swepstone who supply evidence in a court case in 1597
Richard Dudley born abt 1570
D:1630
Then Richard born abt 1635.

I notice on visitation the Dudleys of clopton and Northamptonshire use the names Richard and Lawrence, perhaps a coincidence though.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Dudley Royalist.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in Surname Interests under Your Tools, below, to see if anyone else is researching them?

As you are aware of other trees that you have certain doubts about, have you contacted those people for further discussion to help both of you progress backwards?

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm currently going back on my tree and backing everything up in writing on this line and just following wills and records.
The parentage of Richard who died 1710 is now in question.
He marries Elizabeth Bent 1672 Cosby, daughter it seems of George Bent Esq and Priscilla unknown.
I have him as being bapt 1644 Swepstone son of Richard and Susannah but this is where confusion lies.
his baptism states
Bapt 1644 Swepstone - Richard Dudley JR son of Richard Dudley JR and Susannah
The only Richard Dudley JR baptising in Swepstone is Richard Dudley JR and Bethsheba
They married 1634 Orton on the hill, and have the following children in Swepstone.
Richard Dudley bapt 22 Oct 1635 - Dies 1637?
Richard Dudley JR bapt 29 Mar 1638
Henry Dudley JR bapt 24 Mar 1639
Elizabeth Dudley JR bapt 15 Apr 1641
Ann Dudley JR bapt 15 Mar 1642
William Dudley 16 Jan 1645
There are no other baptisms for other Richard Jr's apart from the baptism of Richard Jr to Rich Jr and Sus.
Is Susannah actually Bethsheba?? I cant find a burial for Beth or Sus.
The odd thing is a Richard Dudley Sr and Elizabeth is baptising the same time as Richard Jr is, Im assuming Richards Jr's father is Richard Sr (Jr indicating a son of the same name as the father).
Richard Dudley Jr I have as Bapt 22 Mar 1616 Swepstone. Son of Richard Dudley.
These of the other Richards baptised in Swepstone.
Richard Dudley bapt 23 Apr 1609 Swepstone. Son of Dionisy/Dennis Dudley.
Richard Dudley bapt 6 Feb 1610 Swepstone. Son of Humfrey Dudley.
Richard Dudley bapt 1 Jan 1622 Swepstone. Son of Lawrence Dudley.
Given that Richard is Richard Jr that would mean he is the son of Richard Sr?
So who is the Richard Jr married to a 'Susannah' and baptises a Richard 1644? Same Richard who's with Bethsheba?
There is also another curious baptism in 1644
Elizabeth Dudley bapt 3 Mar 1644. Daughter of Richard Dudley of Nethercoat/Withercoat? and his wife.
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
In the will of Richard Dudley gentleman of Cosby 1710, Richard bequethes to his close friend Thomas Hower/Howers but later calls him his brother and in Thomas Howers will he lists the children of Richard as his 'Cousins' so im not sure on what the connection is there or if there is indeed a blood one.
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 18 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Iam Steve
I'm reading the last Tudor because of my mothers family the frost family worked for lady Jane greys family here in Newtown linford Markfield Richard frost was steward for them as was his son William frost which is in the books I own on bradgate park now I'm reading the book by Philipa Gregory my grans niece as said from Edward and Catherine there is a connection to my mothers family the cooper family or the Geary family because Alice frost dau of William frost and his wife Alice frost married John Geary in 1779 John was born in the village that was in the park which was moved up to field head Markfield .john and Alice had Elizabeth Geary born 1810 she whent to live in Stanton under bardon  Leicestershire she married my mums great great grandfather Charles cooper born 1800 barlestone .his parents was Thomas and Mary cooper .charles and Elizabeth lived at Stoke heys farm ratby lane Markfield in 1851 .they had my mums father   Cousin Abraham cooper born 1840 he married a Ann brooks Markfield stoney lane farm they had my grandads father Joseph cooper blacksmith born 1875
Please do know of the connection from Catherine grey and Edward to my family ,I know about hand and the Dudleys .
Thanks
Steve

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi not yet I just saw this about the Dudleys I thought I'd ask hope you don't mind my mum is Linda Woolman now but maiden name cooper born 1941 Markfield her father was Ernest cooper born 1907 Markfield father Joseph cooper 1875 blacksmith he married a Mary Helena Massey Markfield .but my grans niece as read the book and said there is a connection from Catherine and Edward I also saw it about ned and a child I have been onGoogle and looked but don't know what look for I have asked my cousin to have a look for me who's on face book the Dudleys are in the book the last Tudor.
Steve

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 February 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I've come across your pedigree online where you list your descent from the Dudley family of Cosby, I too descend from this family and have done some research. You have Richard Dudley who dies 1709/1710 Cosby as baptised 1644 Swepstone. Do you have any other sources or evidence to back this up?
I believe that Richard is not the Richard who is bapt 1644. This is what I have. -

Richard Dudley, Gentleman of Cosby & Odstone.
Born c1650 Odstone to Henry Dudley Esq and Frances (Possibly Frances Trowell of Yorkshire).
Marries Elizabeth Bent, 9 Sep 1672 Cosby. Elizabeth is the daughter of George Bent, Gent of Cosby. (The Bent family were lords of the Manor of Cosby and Wealthy Land Owners descending from Thomas Bent Esq who purchased the Manor in 1551)
I descend from Richards son Richard Dudley, Gent of Cosby 1680-1746.
These are the reasons I believe Richard is son of Henry and Frances.
Richard names 2 of his children Henry and Frances (His parents) He names 2 children George and Priscilla (Elizabeths Parents) He names children after his and Elizabeths Parents.
In Richards will 1710 he bequeaths money to the poor of Cosby but also bequeaths money to the poor of Odstone (Normally you would only bequeath to the poor in places you lived or had a connection to)
In his Son Henry Dudley's Oxford Uni Alumni record he is listed as Henry's father as such  'Richard Dudley, Gent of Odstone, Leic'.
In the Will of Henry Dudley, Gent of Odstone 1686 he makes his son Richard the Sole Executor of his will.
Henry's daughter and Richards Sister Hannah Dudley who married John Bill is witness on Richards will in 1710 as 'Hannah Bill'
In Henrys will in 1686 he lists his Children Henry, John, Mary, Hannah, Honor, Richard. I have only found baptisms for Henry, Mary, Hannah and Honor.
Baptisms seem to be missing for John and Richard but would be in the region of the 1650s.

Father Henry Dudley, Gent of Odstone -

Henry Dudley 1618-1685 is another curious one as he seems to be the Lieutenant Henry Dudley of Swepstone who was a Royalist in Hastings regiment during the Civil war.

Lieutenant Henry Dudley was the 1st Son of Thomas Dudley, Gentleman and Wine Merchant of London and Swepstone. The only Henry Dudley in Leicestershire during the Civil war was Henry Dudley of Odstone. He baptises first son Henry 1640 Twycross, Leic then baptises Mary and Hannah at Swepstone before having a gap where John and Richard are born then baptising Honor at Twycross.
This move to Swepstone suggests Henry is indeed the Henry Dudley of Swepstone as he is the only Henry Dudley linked to there. On the parish records he is listed as 'Henry Dudley, Gent. On his burial in Shackerstone he is listed as Henry Dudley, Gent. He was born 1618 London or Swepstone son of Thomas Dudley and Bridget Hodson dau of James Hodson of Witney, Oxfordshire. Thomas Dudley gives the family Pedigree in London 1634 Visitation.
Henry seems to have the Social Standing and Occupation of a Gentleman by his late 20s so its highly likely he is the same Henry who was Lieutenant having received most likely an Officers Commission.

The one piece of Evidence which throws doubt on Henrys parentage is that in his will of 1686 he lists a brother William Dudley and I can find no evidence that Thomas and Bridget had a son called William or if Thomas had a son William with his 2nd wife as in the Will of Thomas Dudley, Gent of Swepstone 1660 he lists his wife Lucretia (Bridget dies 1638) and his 2 sons Henry and Francis but no William. Son Francis seems to be baptising in Ibstock and there is also a William baptising there so im not sure who this is. Thomas does list his grandson Henry by  his son Henry which fits exactly with Henry of Odstone's children and I have found no other Henry Dudley baptising with these names. So it looks like Henry Dudley of Odstone is most likely the Henry Dudley son of Thomas.

Thomas Dudley, Gentleman and Wine Merchant 1589-1660
Son of Richard Dudley and Anne Farmer (Ann was daughter of Lawrence Farmer Esq of Normanton, Leic)
married Bridget Hodson 1616 London.
Gave the Dudley family of Swepstone pedigree at the London visitation 1634.

Dudley family research by Dean Dudley notes that Thomas's Grandfather Richard Dudley was Richard Dudley of Clopton, Northamptonshire. (The Dudleys of Clopton had been lords of Clopton since the 1300s.
Note that on the Visitation Pedigree given by Thomas in 1634 It says 'Vide Northampton and Leicester' This means that a connection between the Dudley of Clopton pedigree in the Northamptonshire visitation and the one given in London has been noted by Thomas or the Herald who recorded the Visitation.
Staffs:BARNETT,SAUNDERS/SANDERS,HICKMAN,GREGORY,WISE,GEORGE,ASTON, DAVENPORT/DEVONPORT
Bucks:PRATT,NUTT,STANNET,WELLS,MITCHELL,SEARES
Kent:GATES,BEACH/BEECH,HAMILTON,SCAMP,JOY,PEARSON,TURNER, KING,WILKINSON,HARRIS,JEWHURST,AVERY,FEATHERSTONE,REEVE,WILLARD, REYNOLDS,KEMSLEY/KIMSLEY,WILES,LEE,EPPS,FOX
Worcs:STOKES,HUGHES,FARMER,MULLET,TAYLOR,SOUTHALL
Ssx:BODLE,BUTLER,HOOD,DENNIS
Leics:DUDLEY,HUDSON,JEFFO,SHRIGLEY
Essex:PATIENT/PATIENCE,CASS,HOY,WATTS
Derby:PEARSON

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello peb
I see you have posted what I sent you in an email.
Kind regards
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 February 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The email comprises the pedigree which I'm fairly certain is correct, based on wills, locations and church records