Author Topic: Llanuwchllyn Parish Church (St Deiniols) graveyard  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Llanuwchllyn Parish Church (St Deiniols) graveyard
« on: Monday 07 May 18 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I know there was a separate thread on Llanuwchllyn cemetery but for the avoidance of doubt I wanted to post specifically about the Parish Church (St Deiniols and which is now abandoned) graveyard. My great-grandmother, Catherine Evans nee Jones) was buried there in 1909. I am visiting the area on the 16th May 2018 and wanted to try and find her gravestone. Does anyone know if there are any records of the location of graves there ? I believe it's not a large graveyard and hopefully I'll be able to find the grave fairly easily, but if it's already been documented that would be a great help.
Many thanks, Gordon.

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanuwchllyn Parish Church (St Deiniols) graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
The inscriptions on the headstones in some of the cemeteries in Meirionnydd have been transcribed and are held on film in the archives in Dolgellau (01341 424681). The archives are only open to the public on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I'm sure a call could establish whether St Deiniol's has been transcribed and someone might be kind enough to have a look for you. I have always found the staff very helpful. I believe there are plans of the cemeteries included in the documents.

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Llanuwchllyn Parish Church (St Deiniols) graveyard
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chwilir,
I spoke to Gethin at the Dolgellau archive office. He was extremely helpful but unfortunately was unable to find any record of the burial. However,  I do have the exact date of the burial and when I visit there next week I will hopefully be able to locate it (a 2nd cousin from Ruthin is coming over to help me !).
Again, many thanks, Gordon