Author Topic: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'  (Read 12166 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
I thought it was interesting.  There are a couple of TROVE mentions which are almost certainly the same woman where her name is spelt PEARCE.  I wonder how you asked to get a convict assigned to work for you.  ???

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Judith,
I'm not sure either how one would go about getting a convict assigned to oneself!
However, Everest was not a convict. He was originally an unfortunate 3 year old whose father, Jules Francois (a Mauritian emigrant, gold prospecting in Forbes) died, age 36, in The Sydney Infirmary (ie: Sydney Hospital), in 1876. Compounding the situation, his mother, Mary Morris went to gaol later in 1876 for sly-grog selling! So, Everest and his 4 young siblings, being without any means of support, were shunted off to various orphanages in Sydney!
I'm not sure where he was sent between 1877 and 1884 (after a few weeks on 'The Vernon' in late 1876). However, as a consequence of this thread of posts (see Ros, Debra and Jo), I have learnt that he was at the Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children, 1884-1887. I apologise if you are already aware, however, when a child was old enough and had ' done his/her time' at the orphanage, he/she was indentured out to a responsible, caring family - Everest from the Randwick Asylum to our Miss Pearce. So, as you rightly point out, it's a fair bet that, on the basis of your investigation, Miss Pearce was exactly that kind of person (perhaps one registered one's name with the orphanages as being a supportive individual/family with the expectation the ex-orphan did a bit of work about the property!). Incidentally, Everest's older sister, Julia, was indentured out to a 'Reverend Lumsdaine' (though she was older that Everest and may have been a bit rebellious and so absconded from him on a couple of occasions!).
I understand that you are being cautious about whether the Miss Pearce you found is the right one - but her character would be in keeping with her role and I appreciate your suggestion.
Paul.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 01:35 BST (UK) »
Here's some further info, including electoral rolls

I should mention that the children were arrested and charged in accordance with the 1870s NSW Child welfare practices, and thus were presented to the police court which then recorded convictions as noted on those images - uploaded to Ancestry.  You can see the names of the Justices of the Peace at page 216 - yes, so they were 'convicts', and it is thanks to those convictions (which)  sent the lads to Sydney firstly to Vernon Industrial School...   If the lads had not had convictions recorded and those records kept, ummm.... likely there would be a much more difficult quest to find what happened to them.

NSW Electoral Roll 1878 MORPETH
John PEARSE, Albion Farm, Freehold, Albion Estate
Thomas PEARSE, Hinton, Freehold, Hinton
Thomas Henry PEARSE, Albion Farm, residence, Albion Estate.

Grevilles 1875 PO Directory HINTON
Thomas PEARCE, farmer

NSW Electoral Roll 1870 MORPETH
John PEARSE, Albion Farm, Freehold, Albion Estate
Thomas PEARSE, Hinton, Freehold, Hinton

1888 Aldine Centennial History of NSW
Elizabeth PEARSE, Prospect House, Hinton, was born near Plymouth, Devonshire.  Came to Sydney with her parents and three brothers in 1838 per Fortune.  1839 the family moved to the Hunter, with her father renting a farm for ten years. Then they moved to Hinton, where her father purchased land.   Her mum died January 1863, and her dad died in February 1863.  Miss Pearse has 500 acres of land, a splendid residence on an elevation overlooking the town of Hinton, land at Miller’s Forest, allotments and two cottages in Morpeth.

NSW BDM
In 1891, Elizabeth PEARSE death #9530 registered Morpeth, parents as John and Ann
In 1863, John PEARSE death #4570, registered Morpeth
In 1863, Ann A PEARSE, death #4560, died Hinton, registered Morpeth

Trove
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18994067 Maitland Mercury 24 Jan 1891
further Obit to support Judith’s post - Miss Pearse 

JM

ADD, the charge was having no visible lawful means of support.

ADD the mum was serving three months in Gaol when the lads were sent to Sydney in 1876.  Likely they returned to her once she had completed that sentence.  The admissions to Randwick were where she gave them up as she could not support them.   They were admitted in June 1884, and discharged in 1887. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 04:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Judith,
I'm very grateful for you explaining the convict issue to me - it has certainly made it much easier to understand Everest's progress :)

With the insight that Everest, 3 yrs, almost certainly left the Vernon and went back to his mother, Mary, in 1877 (after her initial gaol term) I can just about follow the progress of all her children as of 1876:

Julia (Julietta), 14 yrs, and Emily, 7 yrs, appear to have gone to the Parramatta Training School in 1876, then indentured out after 12 months and 3 yrs respectively to local Sydney families (E. A. Lumsdaine, Burwood and Miss Mary H. Wells, resp.)

Alfred, 4 yrs, like Everest, left the Vernon early too in early 1877 (possibly to return to her); however, interestingly, in the Police Gazette  of April 1885, he absconded from Mary Ann McEvilly of Robertson; so, like Everest, he may have ended up back in an Orphanage in the early 1880's when Mary wasn't supporting him anymore.

Frederick, 2 yrs, doesn't show up on the Vernon in 1876; but, like Everest, he spent time in the Randwick Asylum, 1884-1887  (maybe he went to gaol with his mother in the 3 month 1876 imprisonment?)

Incidentally, in 1878 - Mary and Charles Gray McRae (her future second husband) spent 3 months gaol, Forbes Gaol - sly grog again! (but, by that stage, maybe the young boys were old enough to live with neighbours in Forbes for a short time). Also, Forbes Gaol, I believe, was just a lockup at the time; so, maybe they actually served time elsewhere.

Mary and Charles Gray McRae had their first child (Agnes) in Wilcannia in 1882 - and the onset of this new family may be another reason for the fates of her original children (above).

Do those theories seem plausible?

Once again, I appreciate the new insights you've provided in my ongoing researches!

Paul.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
   I'm sorry I only got as far as recording the scans of the microfilm of their discharge which I see you found on Ancestry anyway.   But next time I am there (about every 3 weeks) I can photograph the
Asylum records for you.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
Many thanks for your efforts - I'm very grateful! :)
As you can see from my most recent post, I'm now, with some very able assistance,  starting to put the story together and fill in a lot of gaps. It will be nice if I can eventually complete the story of Mary and her children!!
Paul.  :) :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 07:01 BST (UK) »

Marriage Julia ANSELINE....interesting to see   GRAY /  McCRAE names

St Michaels Church Sydney 14 Apr 1883
GRAY Martha 21y b. NSW residence Waterloo
parents George GRAY / Sarah McCRAE

CROSBY Alfred 21y b. Qld bricklayer residence Ultimo
parents Henry CROSBY / Mary A
                                    witnesses George WIDDOWS and Fanny WIDDOWS

St Michaels Church Sydney 10 Nov 1883
ANSELINE Julia 21y b. NSW residence Wattle Street Ultimo
parents Thomas ANSELINE  Mary MORRIS

NESTOR Thomas 21y plasterer b. NSW residence Crown St Sydney
parents Thomas LESTER / Catherine TAYLOR...???
                                        witnesses Alfred CROSBY and Martha CROSBY

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 07:07 BST (UK) »
Huge apologies, Paul.  I had read all of your posts but got side-tracked with Miss Pearce/Pearse and was excited to find someone who was probably her so forgot how your chap came to be assigned to her - and cooking dinner at the same time.   :o

It seems that there are two women of the same name living in Hinton.  The one I found died in 1906 and was daughter of John M PEARSE and Isabella and the one found by JM who died in 1891.  I suspect they are of the same family, possibly a generation apart. I've had a cursory look but can't quite fit the family together.  I don't suppose it matters much which of the ladies of 'good work' it was!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
As an aside, and maybe for a separate thread, are you reseaching the origins of Jules ANSELINE?

Where do you see his Mauritius origins?.