Author Topic: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'  (Read 12177 times)

Offline brothers-searcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'
« Reply #90 on: Friday 16 November 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
A couple of observations where Thomas NESTOR is concerned.
     Looking at each and every one of the entries in the Gaol Description and Entrance Books on Ancestry for Thomas NESTOR between 1881 and 1887 revealed some notations. As mentioned by Paul the 1881 Police Gazette gave a description of Thomas as 18 years old and 5ft 5 in, slight and freckled. Calculated year of birth 1863. 

As mentioned previously he was mostly sentenced to Darlinghurst. In March 1887 he is sentenced to 2 months - and is transferred to Parramatta Gaol in April and there is a description that reads he is 5ft 8in; slight build; sallow complexion; Black hair; brown eyes; R&W. If this is the same Thomas he would have been 24 by this time and appears to have grown a few inches (not surprising). His possible brother John is described on his Gaol photo in 1887 as being born 1867 (20 yrs) 5ft 8 1/2 in; brown hair; blue eyes. John's was a heftier sentence of 5 years for break, enter and steal.

The Description on Thomas HYNES alias NESTOR in 1893 born 1867 has him at 5ft 5in; light brown hair, blue eyes plus tattoos.

Lorraine
Down - Colney Hatch, Tiverton Devon, Pilton Devon, East Down Devon;
Barker - Dumfries Scotland, Castlemaine Victoria, Sydney Australia;
Lodington - London
Rutherford - Dumfries, Earlston, Hownam, Chatto
Maxwell - Dumfries, Munches
Harris - Newcastle on Tyne
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW
Fenwick - NSW; Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline brothers-searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Further observations after trawling through the newspapers and the reporting of the offences of Thomas NESTOR during the decade 1880-1889. The marriage of Thomas NESTOR and Julia ANSELINE took place in 1883, as we know.
My query comes from the fact that at no stage is the offender, Thomas, referred to as married. In fact in 1884 he is described as "A young man...sleeping in a stable...known to police for the past three years...of abandoned character, annoying respectable people...companion of thieves & women of abandoned habits..."

Is it possible that NESTOR who married ANSELINE is not the same Thomas charged repeatedly?

There are references: (1884) Thomas NESTER (21) baker & (1886) Thomas NESTOR (22) baker - as an aside Edward and John NESTOR were both described as bakers in various newspaper notices relating to their offences. (I saw at least one notice that had Thomas' surname written NESTOR and NESTER in the same paragraph)

While Thomas is shown as a plasterer on the marriage to Julia, he is shown as a baker on the birth of James Ernest in 1884 - more questions!!

Lorraine

Down - Colney Hatch, Tiverton Devon, Pilton Devon, East Down Devon;
Barker - Dumfries Scotland, Castlemaine Victoria, Sydney Australia;
Lodington - London
Rutherford - Dumfries, Earlston, Hownam, Chatto
Maxwell - Dumfries, Munches
Harris - Newcastle on Tyne
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW
Fenwick - NSW; Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 17 November 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »
 :)

;)  ;)  ;) https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/gaol-inmates-prisoners-photos-index

NSW archives blurb about their Gaol Book Index makes no mention of recording any marital status for any prisoner:

The Gaol Photographic Description Books contain a photograph of each prisoner and the following information: number, prisoners' name, aliases, date when portrait was taken, native place, year of birth, details of arrival in the colony - ship and year of arrival, trade or occupation, religion, standard of education, height, weight (on committal, on discharge), colour of hair, colour of eyes, marks or special features, number of previous portrait, where and when tried, offence, sentence, remarks, and details of previous convictions (where and when, offence and sentence).

HYNES may have spelling variations too,  so not just variations on NESTOR or on ANSELINE but also on HYNES   ::)

Perhaps also check out the Crim sheets for John NESTOR ... and any known associates named there ...  It was quite easy to become known by any name in that era, in fact in NSW up until the mid 1990s ... and it is still not illegal to be known by any name, so long as you are not deceiving or attempting to avoid detection or trying to defraud ....

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 17 November 18 06:07 GMT (UK) »
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/index_image/2138_a006_a00603_6074000110r
and
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/index_image/2138_a006_a00603_6064000121r
and
try this index and just enter Mauritius for birthplace ... leave all other boxes empty... so there's another lad arriving with ANSELINE as possible surname (index as Anselme) ... this time this lad arrived in 1899 ...
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/search_form?id=84

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 17 November 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you for the link to George Anseline, showing his criminal history and photo which was interesting.  :)

I actually found him on Trove, with newspaper reports in Evening News (Sydney) and also in Star (Sydney), 2 April, 1909, describing the alleged bigamy referred to.
In the Star, it states: 'George Anseline, or Francose, 27, a colored person from Mauritius, described as a greengrocer, charged..etc'
In the Evening News: 'An alleged bigamy case, in which accused and his father-in-law and other witnesses were natives of Mauritius...etc'

I have wondered where he fits in.

However, in 'Slave Registers of former British Colonial Dependencies, 1813-1834' (Ancestry), there are Anseline families who appear to have had slaves - one of the slave owners was a 'Francois Anseline' who died, however, around 1830. Subsequently, I believe slavery there was forbidden after the mid-1830's.

I would assume that it was not uncommon for slaves to take the name of their owner.

Although I don't have any photos of Jules Francois Anseline, photos of his offspring do not indicate the same features as in the photo of George.

So, quite possibly, George may have been an unrelated descendent.

Incidentally, I have looked on the National Archives of Mauritius website which, I think, you sent me, but it seems to be fairly 'embryonic' - they say that they're still uploading their records.  :(

Gold Prospector