Author Topic: Old burial records for NSW  (Read 2237 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Old burial records for NSW
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 02:59 BST (UK) »
That's a wonderful photo of a happy lady in your avatar,  1909 - 2017 ...  similar dates to a wonderful lady who lived in rural NSW, and was also a happy lady, a church organist, violinist, a fantastic mother, and much respected by everyone who knew her, including the school friends of her youngest daughter. 

JM  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 05:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, for your kind words.  It sounds like the two were cut from the same cloth  :)  The photo for my avatar was taken at her 100th birthday party.  She was the best.

Thanks also for the link for transcription agents.  I've used Marilyn Rowan before and was happy with the result, so I'll see what she can find for me.

Marlene  :)
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
Whoops, just read your latest JM.
Bit slow here  ::) of course I should double check the source document  :-[
How do I go about ordering the official transcription? 
Considering the year question the month and day of burial may be the best evidence to decide whether the year was misread as 1836.
Marlene  :)

Where are you in Australia? Most state libraries, together with many local libraries in NSW had copies of the early church records on microfilm. They are also available at the NSW archives. Quite some time since I checked them, where they can be found may have changed.

The code on the index provides the link to the location of the record. If the year is wrong you should be able to scroll through the records searching for your lady. They are grouped by parish.

From the AVRI (LDS) the church for the burial is given as Sydney, St Marys Roman Catholic.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
[.....
Where are you in Australia? Most state libraries, together with many local libraries in NSW had copies of the early church records on microfilm. They are also available at the NSW archives. Quite some time since I checked them, where they can be found may have changed.

The code on the index provides the link to the location of the record. If the year is wrong you should be able to scroll through the records searching for your lady. They are grouped by parish.

From the AVRI (LDS) the church for the burial is given as Sydney, St Marys Roman Catholic.

The burial for Ann WARD is indexed on several sets as being in Volume 128.   

Here is the live link to the NSW State Archives re their BDM holdings
 https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856#Notes_on_the_records

I quote from that
The Registers which have been filmed by The Genealogical Society of Utah and which are listed in this guide comprise the original 120 volumes of pre-1856 records described above as well as the following:
Volumes 121-3   Supplementary Registers - Baptisms, Burials and Marriages, 1827-1901
[5/4219]   Applications for marriage licences, 1836-44
[5/4221]   Church of England Baptisms and Burials, 1850-53
[5/3841]   Church of England Baptisms and Burials, 1833-37
Please note that because these microfilms relate to Registry volume numbers 1 to 123 only, not all of the official pre-1856 entries for baptisms, burials and marriages are included. For entries located in Registry volume numbers 124 to 162, the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, which still holds these records, should be contacted.
All of the original volumes filmed and listed in this guide are held at State Records, but they are in very poor physical condition and are therefore still restricted and unavailable for consultation.

As I recall, Volume 128 is via NSW BDM and not via NSW State Archives or State Library ... when I last accessed the ARK-KIT for BDMs, I did not find anything other than from the list I note in the above quote.    As far as I am aware, Vol. 128 is not located on the reels 5001-5048 and so is NOT included in the KIT reels in the NSW State Library.   If you have more recent knowledge, I am happy to stand corrected.   https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/archives-resources-kit-ark

Re the AVRI note … does your resource show the year? And does it show if it is a transmitted record, if so, from which RC clergyman/parish?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
I came here thinking this was a site to exchange information we have gleaned over the years - responding to page long posts is not part of the deal.

I'm sure the OP is happy to check sources and details as she can. Might even try going to the source being the Church I mentioned.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 23:59 BST (UK) »
  Our OP asked a question about a specific single entry in Volume 128 of NSW BDM's Early Church Records. 

Around 24 % of the Volumes of Early Church Records that are in the NSWBDM holdings are NOT included in the NSW State Archives ARK kits.  And, of course NOT ALL the baptisms, burials, weddings conducted by clergy in NSW prior to the establishment of the civil registration processes are actually recorded in the NSW BDM's holdings. 

Westward has referred to the AVRI and that in that resource, the church for that burial is given there as Sydney, St Marys Roman Catholic.   I again ask if Westward would type up the relevant details based on that resource he/she has accessed, particularly the date of the burial, also the clergy's name, and if that particular entry is noted as a transmitted entry, afterall, St Marys was and still is the Diocese.

I came here thinking this was a site to exchange information we have gleaned over the years - responding to page long posts is not part of the deal.

I'm sure the OP is happy to check sources and details as she can. Might even try going to the source being the Church I mentioned.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 May 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have added to your earlier thread  :) fingers crossed  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=422453.0

JM

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 May 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
Before I wrote this I had to wipe the egg off my face to see the computer screen  :-[

What happened was that I remembered some information that a fellow family researcher gave me a while ago.  He said he had Anna Ward's death certificate and posted it to me with a heap of other stuff.  When I got it I was disappointed to see it was dated before 1837 and so couldn't possibly 'our' Anna and so forgot about it. 
Well you've probably guessed already but it is the Number 432, volume 128 record  :-[
Name: Ann Ward
Abode: blank
Quality or profession: blank
When died: blank
When buried: 22nd January 1836
Where ceremony performed: Sydney
By whom the ceremony was performed: blank, St Mary's Roman Catholic

I'm really sorry if I wasted people's time but I feel like I learnt some really good information from JM.  I have also cleared up the question of the date - even if I had that information here all the time to do so...

Thanks JM and everyone else too, and apologies with it,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
 :)  Don't fret  :D  that's fine, now to find Anna  :) - able to read and write, and a young lass in Sydney Town .... she may have moved further than Sydney Town - she may have lived a long life, but simply put, it seems she failed to keep her family aware of her location ...

There's fragments of the NSW 1841 census ... alas much of Sydney Town's was lost...  ::)   She may have chosen to become known by another name... umm ...  I will add her details to my list of "Missing in NSW 1825 -1850"   :)  If I can advance the quest, I will let you know.   :D

JM