Author Topic: Elizabeth Smith, born 1819, Orsett  (Read 3783 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Smith, born 1819, Orsett
« on: Monday 07 May 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Elizabeth was born in around 1819 in Orsett. She married twice: first to William Goddard in 1838 in Chadwell St. Mary and at Battle Bridge in 1881 to George Dudley. Her father appeared to be a Charles Smith in 1881 according to one user, and one user who viewed the 1838 marriage said the father was a John Smith. Someone once found me a baptism with a father Benjamin Smith. Elizabeth died as Elizabeth Dudley in 1903, in Chadwell St. Mary.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Smith, born 1819, Orsett
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Images of the Bishop[s Transcripts for Orsett are free to view on the familysearch site Catalogue. I have been through the baptisms from 1818 to 1820 and the only baptism for an Elizabeth Smith is

19 December 1819 Elizabeth daughter of Benjamin and Rebecca Smith, abode Orsett, occupation Farrier.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
We did that one in April

Elizabeth Smith, born c. 1819, Orsett

There's Elizabeth Smith, bap 19 Dec 1819 at Orsett.
Parents Benjamin + Rebecca
Father a Farrier

You can see the BT here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSLF-89N?i=108&cat=515413

Is that the right one?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Gaddard for Goddard on ancestry for the 81 marriage, father Charles Smith

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Yep so there's a clear discrepancy between Benjamin Smith and a Charles Smith. But only one baptism! And I'm sure someone said her first marriage gave her father as John Smith.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if there are much in the way of indexes available for Orsett, you could look through those BT's for some years either side (hoping there aren't big gaps) and see if there is further Smith activity.  Could Benjamin have died and Rebecca remarried? Did they move to Chadwell, or what Smiths if any were in Chadwell.
There's a Charles Smith in Chadwell St Mary in 1841, also John, with other Smiths
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2Z-B4Q

Is that John Smith in 41 this one in Chadwell in 1851, born Orsett?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGV4-25G

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
The John Smith from 1851 would be about the same age as Elizabeth. I really don't know. It doesn't help that the surname is so popular.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if there are much in the way of indexes available for Orsett, you could look through those BT's for some years either side (hoping there aren't big gaps) and see if there is further Smith activity.  Could Benjamin have died and Rebecca remarried? Did they move to Chadwell, or what Smiths if any were in Chadwell.
There's a Charles Smith in Chadwell St Mary in 1841, also John, with other Smiths
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2Z-B4Q

Is that John Smith in 41 this one in Chadwell in 1851, born Orsett?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGV4-25G

On the 1838 marriage both William and Elizabeth's fathers are recorded as John. Could the clerk have made a mistake and John was only correct for William's father?
William and Elizabeth called their first son John William and second William (not counting Henry who was Elizabeth's illegit bapt 26 Feb 1836). Their third son was called Charles. Marriage and early baptisms have surname as Gorred/Gorrad/ Gored. But seems to become Goddard when the vicar changes. It may be that William had a strong accent or speech impediment and rev Evan Jones spelt what he thought he heard. William was from Enfield Middx, so may have had completely different accent from the locals.
The Charles Smith in Chadwell St M is in the same house as Joseph and Ann Smith and their children, but judging by the marks in the margin he and John Smith were a separate household. Could Charles be Elizabeth's father and John and Joseph her brothers?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Well William's father was certainly John - he has two baptisms, one at the Independent Church in Ponders End and one at the C of E church in Enfield shortly afterwards.

You said you saw a baptism for Henry born 1836, is there anything on William born 1841? I think someone's looked before but I do have a pretty terrible memory.

That's certainly an interesting theory, but it's very confusing with two contradictory marriage records and no baptisms   :'(