Author Topic: Ancestry matches don't reply to me....  (Read 7067 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry matches don't reply to me....
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
I try and give a bit of info without going into information overload to see what they'd want to know, if anything.  For me they fall into 2 categories, if the person hasn't logged on for a while I figure they're not interested in genealogy.  However if they've logged in every day or at least regularly since I sent the message (20mon for some) then I feel quite offended that they haven't replied.  I've had a couple of rude replies which stopped me messaging for a long time, I started messaging people again last week and so far, as predicted no replies (I even deliberately didn't message anyone who'd not logged in for over 2mon).
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
if the person hasn't logged on for a while I figure they're not interested in genealogy. 

The trouble is, Pharma, that the log-in information they give is the last time you went through a log-in screen, not the last time you were on the site. Mine currently shows I logged in two days ago, but that's only because the site insisted on taking me to a dot com page, when I was already logged in to the uk site. I'm on every day - but often don't log in afresh for several months!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
Have to say I was tempted not to reply to this 'request' from a 'moderate confidence' 5th-8th cousin who just gave me a name of an ancestor which does not appear on my tree, although the surname does'

'Please could you either unlock your tree for me or allow me to be a visitor so that I can see where we match. Happy to answer any questions for you but can't assist unless I can see your tree.'

As I wrote back, I am afraid I will not unlock my tree, following previous negative experiences, without a bit more information. I did give a list of the people on my tree who share the relevant surname.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Shiela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Same here.  I don't understand the point of taking the test if people aren't willing to talk with each other about their results.  Try not to take it personally (I tell myself that too), it's not how you're wording it I'm sure.  People are flaky.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Things like DNA tests, jigsaws of the map of your surrounding area and aerial photographs of your house are all currently very trendy presents. I haven't yet found an unused DNA test in a charity shop, but I love those jigsaws and they're £30 each new and you can usually get them for 50p. I'm sure a lot of people just do the test so they can tell the present giver and then never give it another thought.

Martin

Offline david54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 June 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Interesting conversation,

My partner and I did ours together (me an aussie and her a Latin American) .... more out of curiousity and to find if there was thread of truth to respective grandmother's stories.

I have emailed a couple of people listed as cousins (of whatever removal) and have some reply, some not. The ones who have, have been fantastic to talk to and have broadened my family or filled in some gaps.

Those who haven't, is it my loss or theirs ??  not sure but out of my control. Overall absolutely no regrets doing it, even tho rest of family sceptical.

Anyway, my "two bobs worth"

David

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts here.

When I got my Ancestry results a year ago I immediately sent a message to my top match, Margaret. I never had a reply.  Encouraged by a discussion on this topic elsewhere, I sent a slightly different message three weeks ago. Yesterday I got a reply! Margaret replied to my initial message but it got lost in the ether somewhere. She apologised for taking three weeks to reply to my second because she’s 87 and hadn’t been well. Turns out she’s my Dad’s second cousin, was estranged from her family and is very excited at me being able to share information.

I’ve also read a recent blog post (can’t remember where, sadly - I read so many) that provided two tips for improving your chances. First was adding a photo to your avatar, so you look like a ‘real’ person. Second, make sure your username is something like a real name - ‘John Smith 92’ sounds much better than ‘pixie-features’ ...
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
That advice about using a realistic email address is very good. I still remember 15 years ago receiving a CV for a position I was recruiting for, and it was sent from big boy Steve at something or other. It went straight in the recycling bin full stop

There are many reasons why people wouldn't reply. I'm sure people get these tests as presents, probably unwanted, and only did the mouth swab to placate the present-giver. I can also imagine there are men in their 40s 50s and 60s who might have been a little bit indelicate in their activities in their youth and are worried about what they might find. There are also probably people with family secrets that are still too recent to be uncovered full stop

There are plenty of resources on the internet telling you about what to do and what not to do when contacting prospective matches. I would reply to most, but if they were semi literate I would probably delete them. It would be a good idea to get your potential emails looked over by a friend or family member. What might seem right to you might seem a little bit indelicate, pushy or possibly bullying, or insensitive to others. Once again do look for the resources on the internet. Just search for contacting potential matches.

Martin

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
I sent about 20 messages to 4th cousins this morning and have had about 5 replies already

I would say at I have had a response to about 50% of the messages I have sent - which isn't a bad response rate going by what some people get on here!
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)