Author Topic: Looking for uncle John Reed/Reid arrived in Canada 31 Aug 1929 from Liverpool.  (Read 1299 times)

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I`m looking for my uncle John Reed/Reid who moved to Canada on the 23 Aug 1929 from Liverpool arrived on the 31 Aug 1929, on the Doric, he was only 16 years of age. His occupation in Liverpool was a shopboy and when he went to Canada he was a Cowboy, but I don`t know where or when or who with. I was told that he may have gone to St Georges Home,1153 Wellington, Ottawa.
Wondered what ever happened to him and did he ever marry and have a family of his own? Any information would be great to receive. :) Thank you very much for all your help.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for uncle John Reed/Reid arrived in Canada 31 Aug 1929 from Liverpool.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

It is a good idea to post links to other threads related to queries so folks aren't duplicating searches for info already found. This link is to your other thread about John.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792605.0

Regards
PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for uncle John Reed/Reid arrived in Canada 31 Aug 1929 from Liverpool.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
There is a Canada to U.S. border crossing record on Sept 11, 1938 at Port Blaine Washington.
John Patrick Reid born Liverpool 10/3/14, age 24, single, going to Seattle looking for work.
Arrived Quebec City Sept 1, 1929 on Doric.  occupation labourer.  Father Thomas Reid.
Last permanent address given as Durant Rd 1 West Derby, Liverpool.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Great find, cosmac!

Living at 1 Durrant Rd in 1945 (electoral list)....

Thomas Reed
Mary E Reed

Living at 1 Durrant Rd in 1955 (electoral list again)....

Thomas Reed
Ellen Reed
Thomas J Reed
Gerard Reed

The latter 2 appear to match children posted on the other thread, although there seems to be a bit of difference with Gerald/Gerard?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
So it certainly looks like it was your John who entered the United States in 1938. The question now would be what happened to him? Unfortunately, looking for a John Reid/Reed in the US is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. And he could just as easily returned to Canada. Someone may correct me, but I don't believe a record of a return would be publicly available.

Have you checked that he didn't return to England and die there?

PB

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
hi ...thank you very much for replies . Having trouble with the T`s and u`s on my lap top plus reception is abysmal, only have a mobile dongle, live in a dip , no digital radio or t.v. reception.

Guess i`ve lost the whereabouts of uncle John......no i don`t think he ever came back.  :'(.... he would have visited nanna and grand. Might try Seattle or US again.  Thank you so, so much.

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone. Sent a message 10mins ago but don`t think it sent....very foggy here, so I will try again.

Iv`e not had much luck looking for uncle John Reed/Reid in America.......I remember a relative mentioning Nova Scotia many years ago, wonder if he went back to Canada after being in Seattle in America looking for work in 1938.....? At a loss where to go next... ???

Thank you all for your kondness  and assistance. :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi there. I got a bit mixed up between the threads and have posted some info about a possible death record in the other thread on the Beginners Board.

PB