Author Topic: Help with WWI Uniform  (Read 2404 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Help with WWI Uniform
« on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with identifying the attached uniform please

Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WWI Uniform
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Cap badge is a bit small but I'd go for Army Service Corps, possibly the Horse Transport element.  Do you have any other clues, age, lady's name???

MaxD

There is a medal card for such a chap, transferred later to the Royal Fusiliers.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there MaxD

I know who the lady is - she is his first wife (Edith Kitchen)

His name is Harry Trickett and I think the picture is a wedding picture from 1917 - Harry born in Stalybridge/Marple, Cheshire 1890 and died in 1967. He was a teacher by trade. There are a number of Harry Tricketts in the medal rolls etc and so I was wondering if the uniform might give me a chance to ID him in the WWI records.  I am researching him as part of my ongoing research in the students at the Cheshire County Training College during its early days

Thank you
Margaret

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
Margaret

What is clear is that there is no surviving service record for your man (60% plus of them were lost in a WW2 bombing raid).  While the medal cards can't be relied on 100% (they only record men who served overseas service), looking through them we find that all other cap badges can be eliminated, he is the only Serjeant (old spelling) Harry Trickett , his ASC number has a T/ prefix which means horse transport and his dress is that of a man who works with horses. The medal rolls for Trickett with initial H support that also. 

As m'learned friends might say, on the balance of possibilities, your man was T/309046(ASC number) then GS/95504 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

The roll for the 10th Battalion RF shows a number of sergeants from the ASC transferring in with consecutive numbers suggesting it was at the same time.  There may be something in that clue worth looking at, I'll ferret around (or perhaps someone will actually know!).

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD

Much appreciated - Trickett was someone who I thought might be a conscientious objector and then I wondered if the uniform was RAMC.  I knew someone on here would be able to point me in the right direction

Kindest
Margaret

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
MaxD

Could I ask - can you tell from the service numbers Trickett when he signed up to the ASC and then transferred to the Royal Fusiliers - I could then track where he went ....

He is a very odd character - as I said he was a teacher but there is no mention of his war service on his Teachers Registration Certification - which there always is.  Which is why I thought that he never signed up in the first place. 

Thanks for your time, very much appreciated

Margaret

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Regrettably not.  The whole thing is bedevilled by the Territorial Force being renumbered in 1917 and the T/309046 looks like a post renumbering number.  The system was fiendishly complex, to illustrate, T/309041 joined in June 1916 and T/309035 joined in March 1917.  The date of joining the Royal Fusiliers may be findable, work in progress!

Another thought of course is that the pic isn't of your Harry Trickett?  There is a medal card (but again no detailed record) for a Private Harry Trickett in the RAMC who joined in 1914 and served throughout.  The pic is definitely not RAMC and not a private.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
Ah well - 'twas a thought!!

My Harry Trickett was still in college until July 1915 - that much I am certain of -  so he won't be the RAMC chappie. 

The Government at the start of the war insisted that all men who were in teacher training finished their 2 year courses - so those that enrolled in college in 1913 completed their course while those that registered a year later in Sept 1914 enlisted during 1915 and 1916 when this restriction was lifted and they were told they could come back and complete their studies after the war.

Harry left the Cheshire area to teach in a school in Poplar between 1915 and 1917.  That school no longer exists and am trying to trace where the records went - but without a huge amount of joy, so far but I am hopeful that I can track them down.  I was reading about the Horse Transport section of the ASC - would they not have actively "fought" as such - just toying with the idea that perhaps that was his way of perhaps being non-combative, although then transferring to the Royal Fus perhaps doesn't make sense... 

I have managed to contact a lady who's cousin is a granddaughter of Harry but she is not too sure that her cousin knows anything much at all - but you never know what pictures etc are being hoarded away that will pop a piece of the jigsaw into place

Again thanks for your time
Kindest
Margaret

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
No one gets married in a bandolier and greatcoat and not in furs either so I doubt it's a wedding photo.