Author Topic: Help with WWI Uniform  (Read 2382 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WWI Uniform
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan - It’s how the picture was described to me .... a wedding picture. Not knowing re uniform etiquette I didn’t know, however one of my great aunts did wear fur to her wedding - but then she wore fur to every event no matter what time of year or what family occasion it was. Must have been completely manky by time she died.....  ;D ;D ;D

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD and anyone else who has been reading this

As I have researched Harry further his marriage notice in the Manchester Times stated that he was
Sergeant Harry Trickett A.S.C., H.T., attached to the Intelligence Corps, France.

I know that he spoke several languages as well as having very leftwing views and that he spent a great deal of time in Russia sometime after the Great War. 

All very intriguing and am chasing up what info I can find on the Intelligence Corps - I know that it was in its infancy in WWI. 

Does anyone have any pointers as to the best place to start looking at all?

Thanks
Margaret

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
I can do no better than to refer you to post 10 on this :
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/4397-intelligence-corps/
His medal card backs up the thought that other ranks were given 10th Royal Fusiliers numbers to "hide" them (his second number is just that).

What his specific duties were one can only guess.  It could be well his language skills.

Others may find more, I'll scout around a bit but sneaky beaky's are always by their nature very hard to pin down!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thought that might be the case - sneaky beaky's are us and all that

Thanks MaxD

Margaret

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 October 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 October 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD - that is fabulous.

No idea re the PM - I got a reply from you but it was just my message repeated - obviously not just me that is having a touch of Monday morning-itis - the system is too - makes me feel better.

Just out of interest - I was reading the war diaries and wondering if I could find any mention of Harry - does his service number T/309046 give any sort of clue as to the battalion he would have been in at all. Just to narrow down my reading a tad. 

Enjoy your day
Margaret

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 October 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
From what has been written, and commented on, it's more than likely he was military intelligence and an officer. Teaching was and is a profession, not a trade. He spoke languages, that alone would point to an officer, also in Russia during the Allied Intervention 1919/20. He would need to be have been an officer to move around in intelligence work independently.

As pointed out, the regimental affiliation may have been a cover and the ASC connection the same. Unfortunately, there may be no records.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 October 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Regorian

Thank you for that - any little snippet is of great help.  I am studying the students and ex-students from a teacher training college who enlisted during WWI and the great majority of them ended up being officers - as you say teaching is a profession and these men would have skills in leadership and organisation I am guessing.

Harry is an intrigue but I have reached the conclusion that apart from the "official" medal roll listings and the scant information he gave his family - his army career will mostly remain a mystery and conjecture. 

I am preparing for a public talk in November on the students and Harry forms part of the talk as being "a bit different", more than the average as it were. 

Thanks again - I am constantly amazed at the knowledge of you guys on here

Kindest
Margaret

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 October 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret, there's plenty of RC's on here with far more knowledge than I. There's a good chance you will have the answers you need in time. 10/ Royal Fusiliers, a London Regiment, doesn't seem to have any relevance, was on Western Front.

However, I have found something intriguing. The Manchester Regiment, 52nd (Graduated) Battalion. Yarmouth winter 1917/18, by May 1918 Herringfleet. They were inserted in Russia at Murmansk. Manchester your neck of the woods I think, Graduated Battalion, brainboxes, that's worth following up.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.