Author Topic: WW2 radio hams Newcastle Area  (Read 1875 times)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 radio hams Newcastle Area
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 October 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interest, trying the North East Memorials. Can't access rsgb.org without joining. Freds call sign in Nairobi was vq4cru in 1937 he reached Norwich, Switzerland and 2 in Holland, postcards verify this. I have a quantity of 'papers'  from 1946 to 1971 including exam papers, City and Guilds certificate and a RSGB cert 3/12/1970, this has BRS32541 and states Fred had been elected as a corporate member. There is a letter 26/1/1948 from the Civil Service Commission in London saying his qualification has been granted for wireless technication in the regional wireless service of the Home Office, he was living Dipton, Newcastle upon Tyne. Lots of info, but no proof of what he was doing. Anyone any more ideas? Help much appreciated Carolmc

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 October 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Can't access rsgb.org without joining.
https://rsgb.org/main/contact/

that page gives email addresses, I'd send an email enquiry and explain what you are looking for. They may be able to point you in the right direction?

Boo

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 October 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
The BRS number is a shortwave listeners number but why he needed that if he had also passed the City & Guilds Radio Amateurs Exam is confusing. Also, why did he need the RAE pass if his qualifications to be a licence holder had been accepted by the Home Office as equivalent.
VQ4 or VQ is no longer an  international prefix for any country. Kenya uses 5Y or 5X.

There's no doubting his background but the detail seems a bit confused.

I wouldn't have thought you needed to join the RSGB to send them an email to whatever contacts they list. I got this from the contact list on the home page. It's the email for the General Manager so might help.

gm.dept@rsgb.org.uk

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 October 18 09:33 BST (UK) »

Link to Shortwave Mag, Sept 1937. His callsign is mentioned on Page 32 as a contact with 2AAN in Tankerton, Kent.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Short-Wave-UK/30s/SWM-1937-09.pdf