Author Topic: 10/5/1918 - Charles McDonald - Aged 38 - Royal Navy - Petty Officer (Stoker)  (Read 1258 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Charles McDonald - Service Number 259446 - Petty Officer (Stoker) Royal Navy was born in Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland on 17th April 1880 the son of Peter McDonald and Elizabeth Porteous.

He was involved in the 2nd Ostend raid on 10th May 1918 and was sadly killed whilst serving aboard HMS Vindicitive. Charles was also mentioned in despatches.

A historian researching the 2nd Ostend Raid has proved that the only casualty of the rank of Petty Officer (Stoker) who died on this date and who has no known grave was Charles McDonald. The unknown grave in Ostend New Cemetery will now be rededicated as his grave.

A service of rededication will take place today, 10th May 2018, at Ostend New Cemetery at 3.00 p.m.on the 100th Anniversary of his death. There will also be a new headstone put in place bearing his name.

Another casualty found and identified.

Charles was a 1st cousin 4 times removed to my son in law and his memory will be honoured by the family.

Lest We Forget

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Sladed8245

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Dorrie,
I am the chap who carried out the research to get Charles' headstone placed on his grave. Started writing to JCCC some 14 years ago and it was only this January they confirmed my findings. I then suggested they rededication the headstone on the 100 th anniversary. This they agreed and on Tuesday I was privileged to be able to lay my wreath on his grave.
David Slade

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Hi David,

Thank you so much for getting in touch with me. I will let my son in law and his family know.

There was an article in the Edinburgh Evening News yesterday regarding the rededication.

I would like to contact you personally but unfortunately we are not allowed to give personal information out on an open forum.

We do have a personal message facility on here but you would need to make a couple of more posts before I can do this.

Reply to this and we will take it from there.

Again, many thanks for your research.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Sladed8245

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk