Author Topic: Inquest  (Read 2288 times)

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Inquest
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, could any one help find the Inquest for Elizabeth Horne dated 9 Jan 1893 in Leeds. I've got the death cert which states she died from Heart Disease so I'm wondering why it went to the Coroner.
Also her last address was Middle Garden Walk, Upper Accommodation Road, I'm presuming this is Leeds. Could the address be part of a hospital or house as I can't understand why she is in Leeds.
Thanks for any help
Jacqueline
Jones Shotwick Cheshire, Moxley 7 yorkshire , Cooper Manchester, hayton Dewsbury & Wakefield, Crowther Horbury

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
You can see Middle Garden Walk on the 1891 map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/431436/433221/13/100431  you may have to change the zooom level.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
If there was a inquest then it is unlikely that any records survive.Individual Coroners decide what happens to the papers very many of them were destroyed by the coroner. It is a simple enough matter to enquire at the appropriate county record office, which will almost certainly know what is available and where it is.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan for your help.
Jacqueline
Jones Shotwick Cheshire, Moxley 7 yorkshire , Cooper Manchester, hayton Dewsbury & Wakefield, Crowther Horbury

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

The inquest might have been in the local paper.

Some Yorkshire coroners records are on Ancestry.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1891 map, the location of Middle 'Garden' Walk was in that part of Leeds called Richmond Hill.
One of the poorest areas, slum housing occupied by a large influx of Irish people.
Plenty of churches in the area together with the local almshouse near St Saviour's Church.
[Have a look at Leodis website, enter Richmond Hill to view]
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 May 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Calverley Lad, I can't understand why Elizabeth was living in Leeds as they came from Barnsley I did wonder if it could have been a hospital. The death cert is the only reference I've got for her living in Leeds so its a bit of a mystery.
Thanks for your help
Jacqueline

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 May 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks John for your help.
Jacqueline

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, could any one help find the Inquest for Elizabeth Horne dated 9 Jan 1893 in Leeds. I've got the death cert which states she died from Heart Disease so I'm wondering why it went to the Coroner.

Hello Jacqueline

Possibly a sudden death unknown cause.

Does the certificate say heart disease certified 2 weeks (or other period), suggesting the heart trouble was known about before death?

----------

I have seen a 20th Century Certificate where someone died after a fall, which occurred whilst in hospital and that Verdict was by Inquest.

Mark