Author Topic: 17th Century book writing  (Read 1002 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
17th Century book writing
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post - book writing wasn't really my ancestor's occupation, but more of a hobby. But one of my ancestors, Marius D'Assigny, wrote a number of books from 1670 and dedicated some of them to high status people. Would he have needed permission to do so, or could he dedicate a book to whomever he fancied, or hoped to gain notice from?

Also, what sort of income could he expect from his books? Would he sell the book in one go to the printer/seller, or did he get a percentage of the sales? Some of his books were republished during his lifetime, so would he have had some control over this? He lived in Somerset, so would he have needed constant trips to London (where his books were printed and sold)?

Any comments, or sources for research, would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century book writing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
I should have thought the St Bride Printing Library may be able to help you with some of this.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century book writing
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
I should have thought the St Bride Printing Library may be able to help you with some of this.

Thanks