Author Topic: Will and Death date variations  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will and Death date variations
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Here is my problem I have located a marriage records of a Henry Rider in Essex dated 7 November 1745 (Copy held)

Marriage Licence for Henry Rider (age 45) of Harlow & Judith Canham (age 40) widow was dated 9th December 1745.

Now I'm even more confused - why would the marriage licence be dated a month after the marriage?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 May 18 23:55 BST (UK) »
Until a second burial is found, I still think the burial date is for the nephew Henry Rider.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 May 18 01:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage Licence/Allegations below (partial only)

Could the confusion be that Henry's WILL mentions his "Marriage Articles" dated 7 Nov 1745?

Syd R said "copy held" of the actual marriage record. Would be interesting to see the original parish marriage record and the name of the church.

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 May 18 01:33 BST (UK) »
The variation in Marriage dates may be explained by the filing of Marriage Bond being the 9 December 1745.
This was mentioned following the death of his widow Judith in 1768 suggesting two things there was substantial assets (for the period) owned by both in 1745 and as such the conditions of the bond were fulfilled at which time the nephew Henry was still alive.
The dating of the Will as 14 May 1746 I can only explain as either an error or the dating issue of 1745/46
Thanks for all feedback
SydR

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 May 18 01:35 BST (UK) »
SydR

Would you kindly post a copy of the marriage record or at least say which church they married in.

Thanks

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 May 18 01:52 BST (UK) »
The dating of the Will as 14 May 1746 I can only explain as either an error or the dating issue of 1745/46
Thanks for all feedback
SydR

As Henry Rider's will was written 14 May 1746 & proved 15 July 1746, there doesn't seem to be any dating issues.

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 May 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
Correct, the Will dated 14 May 1746 mentions the "Marriage Articles as 7 Nov last" based upon the will year of 1746 makes this 1745.
The marriage date of the 9 December makes sense I have not sighted this.
As Henry was from Harlow and Judith was from Thorpe-Le-Soken the marriage could have been in either if not Epping.
SydR

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 May 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Apologies - I must have been mistaken as I understood that you had a copy of the actual marriage on 7 Nov 1745.

Here is my problem I have located a marriage records of a Henry Rider in Essex dated 7 November 1745 (Copy held)
Syd R

The Marriage Licence Allegation date was 9 December - this is not necessarily the same day they married.

Would you please explain the underlined section below? This may be relevant re date of death of the nephew?

..... following the death of his widow Judith in 1768 suggesting two things there was substantial assets (for the period) owned by both in 1745 and as such the conditions of the bond were fulfilled at which time the nephew Henry was still alive.
SydR

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
26 April 1768 when Judith Rider will was proved