Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are 2018 celebs named  (Read 7294 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are 2018 celebs named
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Year on year for the last 50 years, celebrities seem to have become much less celebrated.

Martin

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
He seems quite a nice guy.  Married to Rochelle one of the Saturdays (a female singing group).

He is a lovely guy,he and his wife did last years Children in Need.

Wasn't he also one of the ones who stripped off with Alexander Armstrong to do the Full Monty for mens cancer?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 May 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
I'd love to see Lee Mack, but I guess it'll be a number of years before we get it in NZ though! 🙄🙄😒
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 May 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
I'm quite relieved that the series is coming back, someone seemed to feel that it wouldn't. I may not have heard of all the "Celebs" - and, yes, it does seem a bit formulaic - One with jewish history, one with Jamaican /Carribean history, one from old colonies, one from Ireland, etc ... just as long as they don't use that same illustration of of Irish peasant being turned out of their croft, that seemed to crop up every time someone came from Ireland..
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 May 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
  I know they don't do "ordinary" people, but have they ever had any one with English ag lab ancestors? Then they could show that it was not only Irish/Scottish/Russian/ you name it/ peasants who suffered back in the 1830s.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 May 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
  I know they don't do "ordinary" people, but have they ever had any one with English ag lab ancestors? Then they could show that it was not only Irish/Scottish/Russian/ you name it/ peasants who suffered back in the 1830s.

They need to have an "angle" and they need to have enough factual information about the celeb's family history to be able to pad it out into a narrative. I'm afraid that discovering someone's ancestors were ag labs, finding their births, marriages and deaths, and locating them in the censuses as "ag lab" isn't enough of a story and wouldn't fill out the programme. The only way they could do so would be to add general historical information about ag labs in that time period and that would not specific to the family. The programme would then turn into a documentary about ag labs.  ;)

We have seen celebs with poor or ill ancestors, where records of them can be found eg in the Workhouse or asylum. Not many records were ever taken of our ag labs.

I know the programme is formulaic, but it's still a good way to wile away an hour, and better than lots of the other rubbish on TV.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 May 18 23:45 BST (UK) »

I bought a book written by Dinah O'Dowd  and ....... read a few pages and then put it on one side.. and never picked it up again..

So we shall see.   What her Boy has to say 

but as for the others.. ok.....  not really interested. 

I do not think that the UK Celebs.. * please note I do not like that term at all..... are really accepting of this programme, I think they themselves are not happy with the format.. Maybe that is why the ones shown..... are a little........ 'Pantomime-ish'

only the opinions of    Xin..   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 May 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
 ;D
Haha Xin, I don't care much for the term "celebs" either, and am generally not a fan of shortening words. I only used it because I always forget how to spell celebreties, and need to google the correct spelling.

As I am on my ipad and find that slower going and more of a pain to look things up whilst writing up a post on rootschat, I decided to take the lazy option and shorten the word.

In addition, for some unknown reason, if I write part of a reply, open a new window to look something up, then return to finish what I was writing, often my whole message is gone .... I didn't want that to happen, hence using "celeb".  ;D

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
Please remember that WDYTYA is an Entertainment programme, designed to appeal to the masses ;D

And also, a well-known and well-liked celebrity doesn't always make for an interesting programme!
Remember that Michael Parkinson's story was considered too mundane, and never aired. ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)