Author Topic: Information re 743 Company RASC - Normandy & 45 Company RASC after the Conflict  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Celticwrestler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find out information about my wife's father. He served with 743 Company RASC (TIPPER). Posted to Normandy in July 1944 until the end of conflict, returned to England in 1946, posted to Austria and Italy 45 Company GT. Then to York 22nd September 1947

Name: John R Wood
Service number: T/14711338

Any information on what the unit did in Normandy would be much appreciated or can someone help me to find the coys or his records. I have tried the internet but keep drawing a blank.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

His records will be held by the MOD and not available on line; here's a link to a post by millymcb which gives details of how to apply:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

If he or his wife are still living then the records are free, others pay £30. 
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
As far as unit records go, there are three war diaries for 743 Coy at the National Archives covering D Day to the end of the conflict. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=743%20coy&_nq1=engineers&_nq2=sheet&_cr=WO&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
They have not been digitised so you need to visit or have them copied. There is no diary for the 45 General Transport Company time.
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Celticwrestler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nanny Jan and MaxD,

Thank you for your prompt replies which I have found very helpfull. I will follow up both leads.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I have sent a PM.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Vintageangler

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Information re 743 Company RASC - Normandy & 45 Company RASC after the Conflict
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 17:43 BST (UK) »
A little late with this reply, I have the War Diary of the 743 Coy. from mid 1944 to 1946.
My father was transferred from a searchlight Coy of the RA to the RASC in mid 1944. I think that would have been at the formation of the Coy,and with the reduction in air raids men were more need to support the imminent invasion.

The Coy spent a month or so waterproofing vehicles, and were sent to Juno beach, arriving on 14th July. 204 vehicles, 40 m/cycles, 390 other ranks and 10 officers.
Form then on they spent much of the time rebuilding roads and supply other units .There seems to have been 4 platoons, and the locations and tasks differed day by day.
 The Coy seems to have been in support through Lille, Amiens into Belgium, on the the docks at Antwerp, and into Germany, Brunswick and Berlin.

I hope this helps,although late. The full story is in the diaries.

Vintageangler (Duncan)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information re 743 Company RASC - Normandy & 45 Company RASC after the Conflict
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 19:15 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

You reply will be useful I am sure to celticwrestler if they haven't already got the diaries.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk