Author Topic: Weird and Wonderful Names  (Read 801 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Weird and Wonderful Names
« on: Friday 11 May 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Just thought I had to share this  :D

Just found a cousin of the wife's so many times back called Emma Dale which made me chuckle as it just happens to be the wife's favourite soap on TV as well.....
She also has a cousin Fanny Towel which often raises a few eyebrows I can tell you. Other cousins include a couple with the Christian name Obedience which has also raised one or two conversations in the household, must remember to duck next time I mention it though hahaha!

I've got two James Bond's on my side of the family though, don't think either of them had a licence to kill though  :D

Who says genealogy doesn't come with a sense of humour if you know where to look  :D

All jesting aside back to the research.........

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weird and Wonderful Names
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
One of my false lines (since deleted from the tree) included a chap by the name of (I'm guessing) Ieuan - a very Welsh name with which the clergymen of Northamptonshire were far from familiar. Their attempts at writing it down, in turn, caused the transcribers a great deal of trouble. One of them eventually gave up and recorded it as "Heaven?".

Then there's Nebuchadnezzar Ashby, a probable ancestor of mine. No two records I have found spell him the same way. I think my favourite attempt at it was "Nabugodanezer"
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright