Author Topic: Football medal.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Grandma Chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret Gardner
    • View Profile
Re: Football medal.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 May 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
Albert was an engineer who started his career with Bellis and Moorcom, Star Engineering Co and Ariel Motor Company. He came to Cardiff and was transport manager for William Hancocks ,the brewers and went on to start a bus service, Western Welsh. I know he was passionate about football.
Davies, Bengough, Kinsey, Gardner, Williams, Scudamore,Gray ,Hill and Buffery(Birmingham), Scoble, Baker, Blinman,Emanuel.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
As a collector of football medals there is an unusual thing on the inscription. It actually gives the date which I have never come across before but also the word 'to' again is most unusual. April suggests it may have been a cup final but normally it would just have the name of the recipient plus his club and the year so could it be that it was presented by his club for services rendered?
He would be about 17 and it is possible his voice had broken and he was leaving the choir or in fact joining the men.
Not really much help to you but thought I would pass on those observations. A local newspaper of the day may supply the answers as many did include local football results at that time.

Offline Grandma Chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret Gardner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. It has been mentioned that some churches had football teams. As he was a choir boy in St. Augustine’s I wonder whether the inscription is St. A(Augustine’s)
FC(Football Club).
Davies, Bengough, Kinsey, Gardner, Williams, Scudamore,Gray ,Hill and Buffery(Birmingham), Scoble, Baker, Blinman,Emanuel.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
I think it would definitely be that church.

Offline Grandma Chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret Gardner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that is the most likely answer .