Author Topic: i would love to Ireland's language  (Read 12645 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: i would love to Ireland's language
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 October 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness you did not expect an answer in Ancient Greek.
My admiration for fluent speakers in any language other than their native tongue is boundless.
Viktoria.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 October 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
I did compulsory Latin for a year when I was 12, nearly 50 years ago and it has proved so beneficial. 30 years later I met my partner, and she did Latin and Greek at university and I envy her knowledge of Greek. I agree that if I was motivated enough there are opportunities to learn the language. A trip to Cyprus and Crete were my nearest attempts. It does give rise to one of my big moans about how people say that they're not good at something but never do anything about it. Maths is the usual one, but also spelling, and I do wonder how many people who have trouble with spelling managed to trace their family history. I do despair at finding over 30 different incorrect spellings of one of my search names, Loughborough. Oh, and apostrophes. It takes 10 minutes at most to explain to somebody about the correct use of apostrophes and yet we see horrendous mistakes every day. One day I expect to see an apostrophe after the s in apostrophe.

Martin

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have to say - I never comment here, but there are so many resources these days. I feel compelled to spew it out for all to see. Despite the fact im on my phone typing in lowercase with hamhands.

For the basics, try Duolingo. It's free. That said, make sure you use it in a non-mobile environment, meaning a laptop or desktop. The mobile site does not have the forum per question. And the tips, which are really lessons, are not easy to access if you use your phone. That is where the power of duolingo is, the pre-quiz tips and superuser answers.

There is also Memrise app, Quizlet app (look for classes by Spaceboy76, my local teacher or mùinteior, ask to add his class even if your not in Los Angeles). Someone mentioned Bùntus cainte (they have cds, books and online resources). Smart TVs have a TG4 app but my subtitles dont work, but they work at a computer. I like the subtitles 'as Geailge' so I can keep up. Look up a program called *love under lock* on youtube: "gra faoi ghlas* it's a fake reality show for language learners.
My favorite online dixtionary is:
https://www.teanglann.ie. Thry have audio component under another tab.

The philoceltic society teaches via a yahoo group starting in Oct. every year. They have the mp3 audio translations of "Progress in Irish" (book) Lessons. And someone else posts the answer key in PDF. You can also buy or steal a pdf of Nancy Stetson's book on irish pronounciation. Wikipedia has an Irish orthography page that is helpful once you get rolling and Forvo is a website where users speak words and phrases aloud for people learning the language in question. Many Irish words and phrases there.

Finally, join a class where you live. Many cities have them. If you use progress in irish, it helps to have someone tell you what the point of each lesson is. It's not explicit. The pther books we use are Gailge Gan Stò (also comes/w CDs). LA has the celtic arts center and three other groups that I know of. SF has more and the east coast is lousy with Irish speakers, which is where the philoceltic society is based. 

Start with duolingo. It will give you the basics. Then move on. See this man's post on reddit:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/gaeilge/comments/5f8cc0/why_not_duolingo_and_what_to_use_instead/

In future, Say Something in Welsh website is going to release an Irish resource soon. They have a really great way of teaching unique to them.

Finally, if anyone is desperate for irish speakers, chexk out your local hurling teams. The Play Hurling LA website can help you find them.  It's a given because most of the hurlers ive met are 20 year old guys from Ireland, just in the States for a short while. Most have been given some Irish in school.

In addition to the above options, here's another resource - an online free course from Dublin City University:
Irish 101: An Introduction to Irish Language and Culture
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/irish-language

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
Mo bhrón! Níor tháinig JackBoyd ar ais ó Bealtaine 2018

( Alas! JackBoyd didn't come back since his first post)
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford