Author Topic: Baptism -Morris Amos Vickery Bradbury  (Read 3632 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism -Morris Amos Vickery Bradbury
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
There are  articles about Isabellas possible bankruptcy -
Western Morning News 23 March 1931
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 09 May 1931
Western Morning News 06 November 1931
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 07 November 1931
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 10 December 1931

and about an arson charge - Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 02 October 1931

There are more articles around this time in different newspapers
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
From Probatesearch.service.gov.uk:

Bradbury, Joseph of Warren House, Warren Road, Torquay died 26 March 1922.
Administration (with Will) London 10th May 1924 to Isabella Bradbury, Spinster.
Effects £9511 15s 3d.
Further Grant 29th December 1953.

Administration (with Will) London 29th December 1953 to John Henry Husbands solicitor.
Effects £4560. By Decree dated 6th October  1923.
Former Grant P.R. 10th May 1924.

Death (from FreeBMD):
March qtr 1922
Newton Abbott Registration District     vol 5b, page 253
Bradbury, Joseph     age 82
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Confusing. But is there any sign that the Isabella of Warren House was ever a nurse?

;)Rosie. :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793413.msg6498301#msg6498301

Maureen

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
From London Gazette, 2nd August 1932 (no. 33851, page 5039):

JOSEPH BRADBURY, Deceased

PURSUANT to an Order of the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice made
in the matter of the estate of Joseph Bradbury, deceased, and in an action G. R. Smith & Son,
on behalf of themselves and all other the creditors of the above named Joseph Bradbury against
Isabella Bradbury (Spinster) (1931, B. No. 5806).
The creditors of Joseph Bradbury, late of Warren House, Warren Road, Torquay, in the county of
Devon, who died in or about the month of March, 1922, are, on or before the first day of October,
1932, to send bv post prepaid to Harry Albert Thomas Coles, of Bank Chambers, Torquay, in
the county of Devon, a member of the firm of Almy & Thomas, of the same place, the Solicitors
of the Plaintiffs, G. R. Smith & Son, their full Christian and surnames, addresses and descriptions,
the full particulars of their claims, a statement of their accounts and the nature of the securities (if any) held by them; or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said Order unless the Court or Judge on application otherwise orders.
Every claimant holding any security is to produce the same before Master Chitty, at Room No. 168, at his Chambers, situated in the Royal Courts of Justice, London, on Tuesday, the 18th day of October, 1932, at 12 o'clock at noon, being the time appointed for adjudicating on the claims.
A claimant not residing in England or Wales must send, with particulars of his claim, the name and address of a person in England or Wales to whom notices to the claimant can be sent.
Dated this 29th day of July, 1932.
WOOLLEY, TYLER and BURY, 5-6, Clements Inn, W.C.2; Agents for ALMY and THOMAS, Torquay, Solicitors for (085) the Plaintiffs.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 May 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Confusing. But is there any sign that the Isabella of Warren House was ever a nurse?

Maureen

All we know is that Morris's birth certificate gives the occupation of his mother Isabella Bradbury as  'General Nurse'

If that Nottingham death certificate is her then 'J H Brownlee MD' of the hospital she died at had the Ashes to scatter.   

It looks as though J H Brownlee was a surgeon at the hospital - James Henry Brownlee as per an article in Nottingham Journal 20 May 1943
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 May 18 18:14 BST (UK) »

Effects £9511 15s 3d.

Administration (with Will) London 29th December 1953 to John Henry Husbands solicitor.

Death (from FreeBMD):
March qtr 1922

Thank you! I don't understand why I can find it. Maybe I need to look at 1953 Would you explain it please?
I don't understand the "further grant 1953" part. Does that mean his Isabella died in 1953?
I see the solicitors name is the same as on Isabella's probate record. I wonder why he didn't leave his estate to his wife who outlived him by 7 years? Appears that Isabella may have had financial troubles.

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 May 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
There are  articles about Isabellas possible bankruptcy -
Western Morning News 23 March 1931
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 09 May 1931
Western Morning News 06 November 1931
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 07 November 1931
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 10 December 1931

and about an arson charge - Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 02 October 1931

There are more articles around this time in different newspapers

Interesting reading eh? As MaureeninNY says, no definite signs that this Isabella was a nurse

From London Gazette, 2nd August 1932 (no. 33851, page 5039):

JOSEPH BRADBURY, Deceased

PURSUANT to an Order of the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice made
in the matter of the estate of Joseph Bradbury, deceased, and in an action G. R. Smith & Son,
on behalf of themselves and all other the creditors of the above named Joseph Bradbury against
Isabella Bradbury (Spinster) (1931, B. No. 5806).
The creditors of Joseph Bradbury, late of Warren House, Warren Road, Torquay, in the county of
Devon, who died in or about the month of March, 1922, are, on or before the first day of October,
1932, to send bv post prepaid to Harry Albert Thomas Coles, of Bank Chambers, Torquay, in
the county of Devon, a member of the firm of Almy & Thomas, of the same place, the Solicitors
of the Plaintiffs, G. R. Smith & Son, their full Christian and surnames, addresses and descriptions,
the full particulars of their claims, a statement of their accounts and the nature of the securities (if any) held by them; or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said Order unless the Court or Judge on application otherwise orders.
Every claimant holding any security is to produce the same before Master Chitty, at Room No. 168, at his Chambers, situated in the Royal Courts of Justice, London, on Tuesday, the 18th day of October, 1932, at 12 o'clock at noon, being the time appointed for adjudicating on the claims.
A claimant not residing in England or Wales must send, with particulars of his claim, the name and address of a person in England or Wales to whom notices to the claimant can be sent.
Dated this 29th day of July, 1932.
WOOLLEY, TYLER and BURY, 5-6, Clements Inn, W.C.2; Agents for ALMY and THOMAS, Torquay, Solicitors for (085) the Plaintiffs.

So does this mean that Isabella failed to pay outstanding bills after Joseph's death? Was he declared  bankrupt?

Maureen

All we know is that Morris's birth certificate gives the occupation of his mother Isabella Bradbury as  'General Nurse'

If that Nottingham death certificate is her then 'J H Brownlee MD' of the hospital she died at had the Ashes to scatter.   

It looks as though J H Brownlee was a surgeon at the hospital - James Henry Brownlee as per an article in Nottingham Journal 20 May 1943

Brilliant! Have no idea how you all get this info, but it's amazing. So she may have known this J H Brownlee MD. I'll check her female siblings and their children and check out JH Brownlee for any Devon Connections.There must have been a specific reason why she went to Nottingham. Looks like she had reason enough to leave Devon.

Wish I could get more information about Morris and whoever adopted him, but still so grateful for everything. Thanks again
Are they releasing the 1921 census? Had heard a while ago that they weren't going to.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:48 BST (UK) »

Effects £9511 15s 3d.

Death (from FreeBMD):
March qtr 1922

Thank you! I don't understand why I can find it. Maybe I need to look at 1953 Would you explain it please?
I don't understand the "further grant 1953" part. Does that mean his Isabella died in 1953?
I see the solicitors name is the same as on Isabella's probate record. I wonder why he didn't leave his estate to his wife who outlived him by 7 years? Appears that Isabella may have had financial troubles.

I went to the website https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills.
Then I clicked on the tab "Wills and Probate 1858-1996" - NOT the 1996-Present tab ;D
I entered "Bradbury" as the surname, and 1921 as Year of Death.

Failing to find the correct Joseph, I click on "Next Year", trying every year until I found him in 1924.
I transcribed what I found ;D

I then searched in 1953; and transcribed that also.

Please note that the Probate Calendar list the person, or persons, to whom probate was granted. They might not have received any money, but they may have. Details will be in the will, which you have to buy.

I am unsure as to the meaning of the further grant? but as the original probate was for a substantial amount, maybe it was contested?

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 May 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad, I must be going crackers. I scrolled back and forth from 1921 through 1924 and couldn't see it.  :P
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)