Author Topic: Beaumont family in Wiltshire  (Read 1665 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Beaumont family in Wiltshire
« on: Monday 14 May 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was reading earlier a post in the Devon section about a gentleman who was adopted shortly after birth and the Rootschatters there did some good digging, looking through electoral registers and other things. I myself am in a similar predicament, except without the full name of a person.

My grandmother (who is still alive) was born in 1942. I won't name her because of privacy laws and all that. She was adopted in 1943, in Calne. All she knows is her mother's name was Beaumont, and she has a picture of her somewhere. This may be a big ask, but can anyone find a lady named Beaumont on the electoral register in and around the Calne area? I realise my grandmother was most likely born outside Calne, but for the 1940s surely it couldn't have been that far afield.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

P.S. I have searched the 1939 Register and found a couple of women named Beaumont in Wiltshire but most were married
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Beaumont family in Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Adam,  There is a post on here about researching adoption
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786048.msg6413372#msg6413372

It is quite possible that the person who gave birth to her did not come from the Calne area. It was during the war and many people were working and living away from their normal home.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's a fair point. She could've been evacuated. I've no knowledge of any father, just the surname of her mother.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
If you know your grandmother's date of birth in 1942 and assuming her mother was unmarried there are only 4 little girls born in England and Wales in that year with a mother's maiden name Beaumont.
One in June,2 in Sept and 1 in Dec qtr ,you could fingers crossed ,work out which is the right one and buy the birth cert which would give her mother's full name.

Ciderdrinker

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
She was born in June so that's the most likely. I've contacted one of the links provided by rosie99 so I'll see where that goes. I have the adoption entry too.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Ciderdrinker,

May I have the details of the June birth?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
Ciderdrinker,

May I have the details of the June birth?

Try freebmd  ;D

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Surname - Beaumont
Mother surname - Beaumont
March 1942 - Dec 1942
no other information required

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll take a look now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
It is probably best if you look yourself as otherwise her name is being shown on here  ;D