Author Topic: Found father through AncestryDNA, if/how to approach DNA match and family?  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
amon000, I think the right approach is try and imagine yourself if the roles were reversed.  Try and imagine how you would feel at this sort of unexpected news.  I know I don't have any unknown offspring, so any newcomer to my extended family would be welcome as long as we had the same life values and ideals.

Martin

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Found father through AncestryDNA, if/how to approach DNA match and family?
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
I have just edited this topic because some unpleasant things had been said and this had sent the thread off topic. I am very sorry that a new member has not had the usual friendly welcome from everyone.

I hope that the thread can now continue to helpful to Amanda and everyone else who is following with interest.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amon000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 June 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again Martin,

You are right, I have certainly kept this at the forefront of my mind - I recall another post to this thread saying a similar thing before I made contact. It is such a sensitive subject but one which many of us are faced with, it seems. I suppose as more people do the test, so more incidences of this will come to light (though not with you ;)).

Many thanks. 

Offline amon000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 September 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Just a quick update to say all is well and that one of my half siblings and I have now met. A DNA test was done to confirm our suspicions (based on my knowledge of events) and it was as I suspected. Consequently, he and my father’s side of the family have been very welcoming and, for those I haven’t yet met, have been kind enough to make contact with me, make available many photographs and offer to fill in any blanks as regards questions I may have. I will soon meet another of my half siblings and am very much looking forward to that. It is all early days but I feel very positive and (oddly) complete now that I know more about the wider family. I only say oddly because I have only met one of them at this stage; we are taking things slowly, understandably after this revelation!

Anyway, all told so far, I think that this experience has turned out successfully so I just wanted to let you all know.

Many thanks for all your help and your input in getting this far!

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 September 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
I am so happy for you and wish you many years of getting to know your siblings and new family.

As you say take things slowly and carefully as it is a big step all round. Nothing should be rushed.

Good luck for the future

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline amon000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 September 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dorrie 😄

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 September 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
How wonderful for you that things have turned out so positively. Good luck for the future :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline amon000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 September 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you trish1120 😄

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Just a quick update to say all is well and that one of my half siblings and I have now met. A DNA test was done to confirm our suspicions (based on my knowledge of events) and it was as I suspected. Consequently, he and my father’s side of the family have been very welcoming and, for those I haven’t yet met, have been kind enough to make contact with me, make available many photographs and offer to fill in any blanks as regards questions I may have. I will soon meet another of my half siblings and am very much looking forward to that. It is all early days but I feel very positive and (oddly) complete now that I know more about the wider family. I only say oddly because I have only met one of them at this stage; we are taking things slowly, understandably after this revelation!

Anyway, all told so far, I think that this experience has turned out successfully so I just wanted to let you all know.
Many thanks for all your help and your input in getting this far!

Fantastic!!   SO pleased for you   :)  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)