Author Topic: Advise needed for potential brickwall breaker  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advise needed for potential brickwall breaker
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 01:32 BST (UK) »
A Susannah Lewis aged 6 of Suffolk Street was buried 22 Aug 1833 at St Mary, Liverpool.   

The baptism was at St John, Liverpool & the address Lawton Street.

I can't see any other Susannah baptised Liverpool around 1827, so not sure what to make of it  ???
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 01:56 BST (UK) »
And Susannah was born five years after William left the army, so there's no longer that explanation for kids appearing in unexpected places :-\ Elizabeth was born in 1829 and died in 1831 in Newcastle and Peter was born there in 1832, so if this is to work, the family moved back to Liverpool for some reason after Peter was born, then back to Newcastle after Susannah died...
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:05 BST (UK) »
I must admit to having doubts regarding Susannah being from the family, mainly due to the fact that the children born before and after her were baptised in Newcastle. However I included her just in case as she was born in the same period and the parents names fitted.

Better, I think, to have all available info then you can filter out what doesn't fit/seem right, rather than miss something out completely just because I don't think it might be correct.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hmm, if Susannah isn't from the family though, doesn't that lend credence to there being another, different William and Christiana Lewis, living in Lancashire? In which case Henry might be theirs too and I might be barking up the wrong tree with the 88th Regiment :-\
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
I have just had a look at the 1841 Census and the only Henry Lewis who turns up is

Henry Lewis 20 born Scotland
Ann Lewis 20 Scotland

I cannot find a Henry Lewis born Rochdale in 1841 or 1851

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:47 BST (UK) »

I've just went to FindMyPast and used the info provided to download a copy of the Kilmainham record. Interesting reading. It looks like it describes where he got his ailments, though I can't quite read all the writing: "__ first appearing to arise from a fall from the walls at _________ in 1817, and the latter first appearing in September 1821."

That placename where William fell on his head is Valenciennes, in northern France

On here: http://www.historyhome.co.uk/forpol/crimea/connaught.htm
It says "Returning to Europe, it [88th Foot] landed at Ostend just a month after the battle of Waterloo had been Fought, and marched to join the army at Paris. It remained with the Army of Occupation in France - most of the time in garrison at Valenciennes - until 1817. "
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
I have just had a look at the 1841 Census and the only Henry Lewis who turns up is

Henry Lewis 20 born Scotland
Ann Lewis 20 Scotland

I cannot find a Henry Lewis born Rochdale in 1841 or 1851
The family were in Berwick in the early 1820s. If his earliest memories are of there, he might have thought he was from there, and people sometimes classify Berwick as Scotland..... grasping at straws here maybe.

That placename where William fell on his head is Valenciennes, in northern France

On here: http://www.historyhome.co.uk/forpol/crimea/connaught.htm
It says "Returning to Europe, it [88th Foot] landed at Ostend just a month after the battle of Waterloo had been Fought, and marched to join the army at Paris. It remained with the Army of Occupation in France - most of the time in garrison at Valenciennes - until 1817. "
Thanks for digging that out :) I hope after all this that I have the right William. It'd be a shame if it was really all a big coincidence.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
I hope after all this that I have the right William. It'd be a shame if it was really all a big coincidence.

I don't suppose William's death certificate includes anything that ties in with the reasons for discharge? 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose William's death certificate includes anything that ties in with the reasons for discharge?
Cause of death was "Lock Jaw from a wound in the heel."