Author Topic: Missing from Australia - Stephen Feening  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing from Australia - Stephen Feening
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

To cut a long story short my great grandmother Selina Wilton married a Stephen Feening in Penrith, New South Wales, Australia - 11.06.1906
That same night he disappeared, never to be seen again. He put Selina in a coach, mentioned he had business in Sydney to take care of and he'd be home in a few days. Gone.

I know his parents were John Feening 1850 - 1923 and Martha M Barker 1852 - 1919.

He had several siblings - Henry (or Harry) b. 1872, Isaiah b. 1875, Jacob b. 1876, William b. 1880, Ernest b. 1892, John b. 1882, Elizabeth b. 1887, Alfred b. 1889 and May b. 1894

His brother Frederick Feening had two children (that I know of) Stanley Feening 1905 - 1971 and Vera May Feening (may have got married and changed her name) 1907 - 1992.

The odd thing is I've managed to view copies of Stephen Feening's parents obituaries. In both they mention being survived by numerous children including a Stephen (residing in America).

We think, for what ever reason, our missing Stephen Feening may have run off to America.

It's a long shot and a mystery that is over 100 years old but if anyone thinks they know anything, please get in touch :)

Kind regards,
Selina (named after my great grandmother)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from Australia - Stephen Feening
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
I am just gong to add here the link to a concurrent thread from our OP where information has been located in Australia.
It may save duplicated research and give background too.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Sue

ADDING. I would say there is strong evidence he went to USA.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue,  evidence he went to the USA is very strong.  Finding the outward details is NOT an easy task....

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-shipping-guide (Scroll down....)

Outward passenger lists from New South Wales are DIFFICULT (almost impossible) to access.
The lists from 1898 to 1922 are NOT indexed, and the period from 1911 (to 1922) are not even microfilmed.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue,  evidence he went to the USA is very strong.  Finding the outward details is NOT an easy task....

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-shipping-guide (Scroll down....)

Outward passenger lists from New South Wales are DIFFICULT (almost impossible) to access.
The lists from 1898 to 1922 are NOT indexed, and the period from 1911 (to 1922) are not even microfilmed.   

JM

Hi JM,

Thanks for your reply. I agree, whilst I believe Stephen did head to America for what ever reason, it's going to be really hard to prove it. I wouldn't even know what name to look for as I can only assume he would have known people would be looking for him and travelled under a false name. I know his mother died in 1919 and he's mentioned in her obituary but the question is did he flee straight after his wedding in 1906 or in the years after?? The 100 year old mystery may remain a mystery. It's wonderful to know he may have ended up in America though, up until now my family didn't know if he'd lived after that night or if he'd met his end somehow.

Selina

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 04:35 BST (UK) »
There are passenger records inwards to San Francisco on Familysearch and Ancestry... if he did go by ship it makes more sense that he would go there. There is a physical description of him which is quite interesting in NSW Police Gazette on Ancestry.
Otherwise he would probably use an alias and that makes it almost impossible to trace him. I have one in my family who deserted his wife in England and enlisted 1914-5 in Australia (photos) and very little hope I can find him, another who did the same and enlisted in Canada.
He may be too old to enlist for WW1.
Good luck! and don't forget that the family saying he went to USA may be a story to cover up the shame of his desertion.
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
There are passenger records inwards to San Francisco on Familysearch and Ancestry... if he did go by ship it makes more sense that he would go there. There is a physical description of him which is quite interesting in NSW Police Gazette on Ancestry.
Otherwise he would probably use an alias and that makes it almost impossible to trace him. I have one in my family who deserted his wife in England and enlisted 1914-5 in Australia (photos) and very little hope I can find him, another who did the same and enlisted in Canada.
He may be too old to enlist for WW1.
Good luck! and don't forget that the family saying he went to USA may be a story to cover up the shame of his desertion.
Stephanie from Australia

Thanks Stephanie! I too read his physical description of him. Quite interesting indeed. Yes, I agree, I don't think we'll ever really know the full story. It's a tough one but oh so interesting. Do you mind telling me how I find the passenger records to Sans Frans? I'm still learning my way around Ancestry. I honestly believe he would have changed his name so I'm not overly hopefully but one can only look.

Selina

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 06:04 BST (UK) »

Where did dad John originate from. I've seen Sweden and Holland mentioned, but which is correct?

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 06:20 BST (UK) »

Where did dad John originate from. I've seen Sweden and Holland mentioned, but which is correct?

Hi,

I believe Holland is the correct answer however I'm only going off family trees I can find in Ancestry. I've not seen a birth certificate or any proof...

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
Any idea what the original version of the surname was?