Author Topic: Strange coincidences in family history  (Read 8812 times)

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strange coincidences in family history
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
When visiting my husband's family in Plymouth, we used to go walking in the South Hams and often ended up at  the Church House Inn in Stokenham, simply because it was a nice traditional pub. We carried on going there for many years, several times taking his parents.
My husband knew nothing of his family tree, but one winter I decided to look into it.
Much to my surprise I found that several generations of his father's family were ag. labs who lived around Stokenham, and some of them were actually buried in the churchyard across the road from the pub!
Anyone else had an odd coincidence like this?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange coincidences in family history
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
When I decided to train as a teacher, I applied to, and was accepted at, the college just outside  Grantham in Lincolnshire. I'd never been to Lincolnshire, I just liked the look of the place and the course offered.

Fast forward 40 or so years to when I became interested in Family History, and to my surprise I found that my great x 3 grandfather had been born in Grantham in 1798, although he'd later moved to London, and that his parents and a lot of his siblings were buried in St Wulfram's churchyard in Grantham. I'd walked through that churchyard everyday to catch the coach to the college!

I'd always felt very at home in Grantham - now I know why, my roots were there!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
One branch of my family lived in Southwark for many years - nothing surprising in that.  But tracking back I found two sets of their ancestors from Towcester, one couple from Fakenham, one couple from Ascot and another couple from Epsom.  As far as I know, none of my family have ever had any interest in horse racing.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
In 1969 I came to teacher training college in Ormskirk. Although my grandmother lived near I thought my paternal family came from Cheshire. I was very unhappy at college as I'd had a very sheltered Upbringing and was like a fish out of water. One day I went for a walk wishing I could go back in time, just passed a place name sign for Bickerstaffe I gave myself a shake and told myself to get on with it.

30 years I began researching my paternal family tree and sometime later when I got back to the early 18 th century I discover my paternal family originated from Bickerstaffe!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
So many times!
As a child my horse was stabled at a riding school it had acres and acres of fields/land surrounding it and I spent hours riding my horse with dog following on feeling very 'at home' it was years later when I researched I found out that land was part of an estate where some of my ancestors had live/worked throughout their lives... it is now all built up a shopping centre and thousands of homes.

As a teenager I belonged to the young farmers and we went on several trips one trip to a lovely village in Rutland, a chocolate box village called Exton I took photos of several village homes, sat on the village green, visited Avenue Farm and the folly at Horne then onto another village nearby Greetham to see some stone mason working and an example of what is now called "Halliday's Folly" which is now a holiday cottage.... when I began driving I would often visit both these villages, stop and have lunch or a walk there always seemed to something that kept me going back...later I found Exton was home to my ancestors for at least 500 yrs and the selection of photos I took all turned out to be where my ancestors lived and Avenue farm was a 'family farm' and Horne was where my great grandfather was born, Halliday's Folly in Greetham was built by Thomas Charity Halliday, a stonemason and corn merchant, also an ancestor of mine.

At a week long dog show which started in Malvern we needed to find a larger venue for future years, so  lots of travelling, lots of looking for a good show ground and ended up finding Suffolk and it instantly felt great. Part of the program offered for competitors is what is on, where to go, what to see on 'days off' so, off to investigate, get details so all these things are known and programs written up before the event, several small places I 'got that at home feeling' and later found out I had ancestors from all those places.

Now what a shame I don't get that at home feeling and feel the need to investigate the Cayman Islands, or Bahamas ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
It's much further back, but I found that a family on my Dad's side and a family on my Mum's side emigrated to Australia on the same ship (the Herefordshire) in 1853.
I wonder if their paths ever crossed!

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:31 BST (UK) »
My nan's grandfather James Edgington lived in Oxford in 1861. A few streets away, in 1861, my grandfather's great grandmother Sarah Brain was in service down Oxford High Street in Oxford. Sarah moved to Essex in about 1866. James Edgington's daughter moved to Essex in about 1913. Nan and grandad met and married in Essex.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
I cannot believe the co-incidences.. I find..

too many to name
but spooky all the same.

Xin

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 01:08 BST (UK) »
One with a difference!

A friend I helped with his family tree, his father was in the Navy which brought my friend to Hemsworth School, (Yorkshire)? for a while prior to returning to Scotland.

Anyway, further back his tree we found a (not sure how many greats) grandmother with surname Hemsworth born & lived here in Scotland where he's from.

I thought that to be a 'strange' coincidence, quite unbelievable & different as the surname is unusual.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"