Author Topic: Strange coincidences in family history  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Strange coincidences in family history
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 06:37 BST (UK) »
Um, no, sadly I don't have any that come to mind ....  ;)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
I was born in England. My husband is a 4th Generation New Zealander with predominantly Scots ancestry.
Except that one of  His 4x Great Grandmothers came from a small village in Staffordshire where MY ancestors owned the castle some centuries earlier
AND his mother was a WW2 war bride from Liverpool. Her father was a Scot, but her mother's father came from a village within walking distance of the same village.
My daughter was heard to mutter 'Why did anyone bother emigrating? the results are the same!"
We haven't been to visit it yet. But it is on the list!

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:19 BST (UK) »

Ruskie, I bet there are other people in your family who also have no knowledge of coincidences in your family.

Martin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 12:10 BST (UK) »

Ruskie, I bet there are other people in your family who also have no knowledge of coincidences in your family.

Martin

You are probably right Martin.  :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

hysterical

thank you for making me smile xxx

xin

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
When my maternal grandmother died back in 2000 mum found a handwritten note among her belongings listing the birth dates of her father and all her paternal aunts and uncles.  This began my interest (obsession) with family history.  I happily waded my way through census records and parish records and took the family back to the 1700's.

A couple of years later mum's paternal cousin mentioned he'd inherited a family bible from his mother.  She made him get it out of his attic and I went to have a look.  Laid out on the pages were 5 generations of my grandfather's family with dates of all births, marriages and deaths but what was at the top of the tree shocked me and I had to double check the records.  It turned out that my grandfather's 4 x grandfather was also my grandmother's 3xgrandfather, something they would never have known.

Lyn

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
When I was gaining experience in schools, before applying to university for a BEd in primary mathematics, I spent some time in year 2 (6-7 year olds).

On the first day of being in a class a boy asked me if we were related. I had never seen this child before, didn't recognise his surname from being in my family tree and I didn't recognise his mum at the end of the day. However, he was adamant and would ask me most of the days I was in his class. Fast forward to the last few days I was in his class he decided to tell me more about his family - including a name I vaguely recognised (albeit a fairly common one).

It turns out he was my third cousin and seemed to have some kind of sixth sense!  :o

Also, as a child I loved visiting the Blackdown and Quantock Hills. I later found out, from research, that my ancestors came from there!
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
However, he was adamant and would ask me most of the days I was in his class. Fast forward to the last few days I was in his class he decided to tell me more about his family - including a name I vaguely recognised (albeit a fairly common one).

It turns out he was my third cousin and seemed to have some kind of sixth sense!  :o

!

I think he was one of your 'dead rellies'  re visiting in his new life and recognised you.

or something
 ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

xin

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 May 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
I live across the country from all of my ancestry. I started communicating with a couple who had created a sprawling one name study of one of my surnames in Cornwall- these relatives of mine were born and raised in Cornwall, but it turned out that they got married in the church next to my house in Bedfordshire!

Another time someone contacted me wondering if I was related to his granddaughter via the above surname in Cornwall. By coincidence, he lived near the tiny village one branch of my ancestors came from in Carmarthenshire, Wales, and his mother used to live one town along from me in Bedfordshire again!

Most recently, I found out that a relative who is something along the lines of 7th cousins or thereabouts was born in the same month, same year, same hospital as my mother, 2.5k miles away!

Ayashi