Author Topic: Gwyn George DAVIES MM  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gwyn George DAVIES MM
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
I am researching the above named who was born in Rhonnda on 12 January 1912.  He enlisted in the army on the 17 July 1940 and was posted to the 6th Battalion South Wales Borderers until being posted to the 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment on 15 March 1944.

With his battalion, Gwyn landed in France on 25th June 1944, being awarded a medal for gallantry; the recommendation stating:-

" on 23 Oct 1944, near s'Hertogenbosch, L/Cpl Davies's Company was ordered to attack the village of Bruggen.  Soon after crossing the start line, the leading platoon came under heavy MG and rifle fire from the German positions.  The platoon commander became a casualty and L/Cpl Davies immediately assumed command of the platoon. Without hesitation, he ordered, and personally led, a bayonet charge by the platoon on a party of 15 Germans dug-in on a slight reverse slop, who could not quickly be dealt with in any other way.  In spite of heavy enemy fire, the charge was completely successful.  All the Germans, except one, were killed - the majority with the bayonet - and the only survivor taken prisoner.  L/Cpl Davies continued to command the platoon with great dash until the platoon commander had recovered sufficiently to resume command, when he (L/Cpl Davies) took over his section again. He led it with outstanding skill and bravery until the final objective was reached.
L/Cpl Davies's conduct throughout the action contributed materially to the success of his Company and the whole operation, and he set a very fine example to all around him."

Gwyn Davies was originally recommended for a Distinguished Conduct Medal however, this was downgraded to a Military Medal which was presented to him by King George vi on 14th November 1945.

I understand that he married during 3q 1958 and sadly passed away during 2q 1983.

According to his service papers he enlisted at " Sarnau, Llandeaflo, Brecon".  Can anyone identify this for me as I suspect the person completing the form may not have been a Welsh speaker!

If anyone has any further information I would be delighted to hear from them.
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gwyn George DAVIES MM
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
could be Sarnau nr Llandyfaelog Brecon Powys

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gwyn George DAVIES MM
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Suz,

Yes, I think you are right.

Very many thanks

Mark
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.