Author Topic: The way forward  (Read 3432 times)

Offline zelda16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The way forward
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
I have started my search I have my grandfather on census in 1911 his marriage in 1907 his birth is a parish register with his mothers name and maiden name  . however I cant find his father s birth certificate I have his marriage lines in 1883 at the age of 21 . I have his wife and traced her on the census ect . However I have hit a brick wall ..... He is John McGee  his father was Barnard (DECEASED AT THE TIME OF HIS MARRIAGE ) I have various john mcgees  can any one give me some tips please

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THE WAY FORWARD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Country?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Zelda -- welcome to Roots Chat -- but as Hallmark says it would be easier for people to help you if you gave more information please.

Which country and possible county are you talking about?
Have you found his father's death?
If you have found his father's marriage - do you have the certificate? This would give Barnard's father's name, which may help in tracing his birth/baptism.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

So what year and where( town/county/country) was he born/baptised?

A parish record shows his baptism record, not his birth
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Not sure which 'he' refers to which person, but this is the only marriage of a John McGee in 1907

Marriages December quarter 1907  in Middlesborough
Agnes Donelly      
 William Heslop
 John McGee
Mary Jane    Simpson

However 'he' might be the grandfather's father, in which case, there are 3 marriages of John McGee in 1883, but one in Middlesborough

Marriages March quarter 1883
Mary Ellen Hogg     Middlesbro'   
 John McGee     Middlesbro'   

And if Barnard McGee is missing, perhaps he was born in Ireland?

Offline zelda16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
john MCGEE my grandfather married Agnes Donelly in 1907 I have that marriage certificate.
His father is deceased on that certificate .( JOHN SNR)
john Mcgee snr married Mary Hogg in 1883
his father barnard is deceased on that certificate .
 I cant find john snr s birth certificate or on any census .... with certainty
I have a Barnard Mcgee with a Mary mcgee on a census locally but with no children ...

i have lots of Barnards in whitehaven cumbria  and some in ireland but I cant connect the dots

any suggestions ? i am sorry there was insufficient information previously do i need even more than this   many thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
The first step will be to find your John McGee jnr (who married Agnes) in a pre-marriage census with (if possible) his birth family.

John McGee, mother’s maiden name Hogg, birth reg Mar qtr 1886 Middlesbrough.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Zelda and welcome  :)

You have perhaps realised that you need to give as much information as possible.
You have two marriage certificates - who were the witnesses? What occupations and addresses are given?
You say you have a Barnard and Mary locally. Where are they, which census etc.
It all helps.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Chempat and Zelda,

I was confused by the 'he' as well and had thought that your Grandfather - John Mc'Gee's father was called Barnard -- but from the information now given I see that John's father was another John.

Also Zelda -- and please forgive me if you already know this -- but when starting your family history go back census by census if you can - recording the names also of all the siblings you find of your direct ancestor. Then when you come to a time when parents must have married, seek out that marriage to obtain father's name.

Names beginning with Mc or Mac can be difficult as they can be transcribed in various ways. Sometimes with a pesky space after the Mc or Mac.

I don't know whether you belong to a subscription site such as Ancestry or Find My Past -- but if you do -- on Ancestry you can use a 'wildcard' (ie an asterisk *) either at the beginning or at the end of a series of letters - ie in this case *Gee which will pick up all names ending with those 3 letters.

On Find My Past - you can only do this at the end of a name (as far as I know).

You can also use wild cards on Family Search -- free site - which has census transcriptions.

Bear in mind also that if your family were Roman Catholic and living in England -- there are far less RC baptisms, marriages, and burials on line than C of E ones -- and you will definitely need to seek out the formal birth, marriage or death cert.

However if your family do turn out to be Irish - there are RC parish registers on both Ancestry and Find My Past. The drawback with Irish ancestry is you only have the 1901 and 1911 census and in addition Civil Registration started only in 1864 (except for non-RC marriages when that started about 1845).

Civil Registration in England and Wales started in July 1837 - hence events occurring prior to that -- you need Parish Registers.

These are just things to bear in mind -- and as I said I really do apologise if you know all this - but we never know with people who are new to Roots Chat - just how much of a beginner in this obsessive hobby -- they are.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.