Author Topic: Much appreciate help reading these 4 lines from census record  (Read 3515 times)

Offline jedidiah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Much appreciate help reading these 4 lines from census record
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1871 census - yes that fits in with the other ones I have so makes sense. I can't find that record on Ancestry for some reason :s

Can I throw in another question if possible - on the 61 census I gave, Ann Jones is listed as a lodger, but there abode seems to be a different number from the Herberts above them (99 to 100) .. does that mean they were lodging with them, or could it be lodging with someone not on the census, or have i misunderstood it?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
I think this might be George’s marriage but no help with that occupation  :-\

25th December 1869 St Mary Newington

George Thomas Jones, Stoker, 58 Brandon Street Father Benjamin Jones Farrier

Fanny Elizabeth Jennings, the same (address) father Henry John Jennings Carver and Gikder

Witnesses Benjamin Jones and Caroline Chantry

It looks like Farrier but I think it should be Furrier
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Yes that marriage looks good.

25th December 1864 same church

Ann Jones married Robert Chantry - Father Benjamin Jones, Furrier

Same day

Benjamin Jones married Ellen Turton - Benjamin is his father - a furrier and George Jones is a witness

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1871 census - yes that fits in with the other ones I have so makes sense. I can't find that record on Ancestry for some reason :s

If you use the census reference I gave in reply #7, on the 1871 census search on Ancestry, you will be taken to the correct page  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
In 1871 629/88/49

George T Jones is an Engine Driver.

The sub-registration district is Leather Market. The local pub on the census sheet is The Jolly Tanners.

Going back to the original al query, I still wonder if he was a ‘Bone Sawer’ - perhaps re furs; skins etc - maybe there were carcasses  ???

Offline jedidiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen, I'm almost embarrassed to ask this as I consider myself a bit of a whiz at these things, but how do you search by the reference ? I can't see anywhere to put that .. I tried search the 71 census for his name in St Pancras but it just doesn't come up for me :s

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 May 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen, I'm almost embarrassed to ask this as I consider myself a bit of a whiz at these things, but how do you search by the reference ? I can't see anywhere to put that .. I tried search the 71 census for his name in St Pancras but it just doesn't come up for me :s

The reference is RG 10 / 218/ 65 / 49

So go to the 1871 census search page on Ancestry.

Scroll down the page a bit and in 'piece number' enter 218
In 'folio number' enter 65
In 'page number' enter 49

You need not enter anything else.

On the first page of results you will find Benjamin Jones (but not transcribed as that  ;D, which is why your search isn't turning him up  :-X )

Offline jedidiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Jen, got that now :)

As so many experts have been kind enough to help me here, may I venture another question if anyone has time to help .. what was the maiden name of Ann Jones here, born around 1820-25, the first record I have of her is in the 51 census, Piece:   1567, Folio:   317,Page Number:   7 .. at which point she already seems to be a widow. Her husband was a Benjamin Jones (mentioned on the wedding barns of his son Benjamin for example). With Jones being such a common name it is hard to search on it, though still I can't find any suitable marriage records - looked on Ancestry and FindMyPast.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
.. does that mean they were lodging with them, or could it be lodging with someone not on the census, or have i misunderstood it?

The Herbert family (schedule 99) and the Jones family (schedule 100) are both living at 9 Brandon Street. They have been enumerated as two separate households within the same dwelling house. Whether this means that the Herbert family owned the whole house and Ann Jones was their tenant, or whether someone else completely owned the house and the two families were both tenants is impossible to tell from the census.

As so many experts have been kind enough to help me here, may I venture another question if anyone has time to help .. what was the maiden name of Ann Jones here, born around 1820-25, the first record I have of her is in the 51 census, Piece:   1567, Folio:   317,Page Number:   7 .. at which point she already seems to be a widow.

Have you checked the GRO website? https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

If you search for the births of her sons Benjamin or George Thomas on there it should give you her maiden name. The 1861 census indicates that they were born in Newington, and the family were certainly in Newington R.D. in 1851.

However, looking at the 1851 census I think it says 'U' i.e. unmarried  :-\